Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:01 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times

Advertisements

Now this is a real rich family with a big mansion that as a Butler you are responsible for the upkeep as well as appointments, driving the family when needed and you're on call 24/7. You are also a live-in employee. However as a Butler you not only get a great salary but all the perks and benefits of being one.

Room and board, including a car, mobile telephone, 4 weeks annual leave, once a year airline ticket home, etc. You can be expected to work 60+ hours or more a week.

Would you be willing to do that for $100K and some nice benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
No.

Might be nice in Britain but it wouldn't work for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 AM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Now this is a real rich family with a big mansion that as a Butler you are responsible for the upkeep as well as appointments, driving the family when needed and you're on call 24/7. You are also a live-in employee. However as a Butler you not only get a great salary but all the perks and benefits of being one.

Room and board, including a car, mobile telephone, 4 weeks annual leave, once a year airline ticket home, etc. You can be expected to work 60+ hours or more a week.

The "you're on call 24/7" is bothersome. That's not really mentally healthy for any job. It may be a little different when you're the owner/boss and the company is your "baby" (of for someone who literally has a baby), but in this case, when you're at the whim of someone else's every need and want, no. And for those hours (60+ a week), you might as well try to come up with a plan to start some type of business venture and then have some autonomy over what you're doing (although there would be no guarantee to even make $1, let alone $100K).

Some exceptions to shying away from this might be:

1. Obviously, if this was the only option to be able to eat
2. If the "on call 24/7" had some downtime built into it (if you could have a subcontractor butler)
3. You needed a legitimate way to build up your savings fast or you could do this for 10-15 years, save and invest like crazy (spending very little money with no major downfalls in the economy) and be able to retire much younger than you normally would have been able to retire. Quite a few things would have to fall into place exactly right to pull all of this off. Plus, since this would have been your life for 10-15 years, it would be interesting to see how you transitioned into a more leisurely life.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM

581 posts, read 664,270 times
Hell yeah.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 AM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
No, I have a degree and marketable skills and make more than that. That job would bore me to death.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Seems like low pay for a time-consuming job with no growth. It's not for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I could see it being stressful, working for a high-strung entrepreneur type who, if had a bad day could fire you on the spot.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Given that $100k is the middle/low end of butler/house manager pay, no.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Given that $100k is the middle/low end of butler/house manager pay, no.
I want to be a butler that is awesome!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post

In Connecticut: No.
In California: No.
In Washington State: Absolutely.
In Nevada: Absolutely.

Those kiboshing such an arrangement are not thinking economically.
  • Live-in employee = no living expenses = higher effective salary.
  • Car included = no vehicle or travel expenses = higher effective salary.
  • 4 weeks leave = better than 90% of employers.
  • Washington State, Nevada = no state income tax = higher effective salary.
In such an arrangement, I would work for two years, stack chips and buy investment property. Nothing says you can't continue going to school and getting degrees while you do this, either.

Complaining about menial labor - this is the problem with America. People don't want to do basic, hard work. I would, in a hot minute.

As far as 60+ hours a week, I've already worked 80 hour weeks. 60+ is a walk in the park especially if I don't have to care about housing expenses along the way.

Then of course there's the "hot rich daughter" side effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment