Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
....Yet all of that happens routinely all over America.
Only if you let it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Three count your cash from now on. At least the bills. Count as your taking it out of the drawer. Count it again to yourself. Count it out to your customer. You won't be off again. It won't take but a few seconds longer to get the transaction done, but it will save you in the long run. As a bank teller, this always worked for me and had zero outages in my drawer. The take it out of the drawer and shove it in the customers hands method and just repeating what the cash register says to give back is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Unfortunately that's the way it's done nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Three count your cash from now on. At least the bills. Count as your taking it out of the drawer. Count it again to yourself. Count it out to your customer. You won't be off again. It won't take but a few seconds longer to get the transaction done, but it will save you in the long run. As a bank teller, this always worked for me and had zero outages in my drawer. The take it out of the drawer and shove it in the customers hands method and just repeating what the cash register says to give back is a recipe for disaster.
Yes, this is good advice but with digital cash registers I don't know if he'd even be allowed to do it this way.
Counting cash backwards had you, back in the previous century, catching your errors. Today the kids dump the money in my hand, and if there's a mistake it's often in the customers favor, hence the "short". It's back to Wendy's protocols: WHAT TF are they??????? They have to exist somewhere.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:03 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Not going to happen in most retail environments. There is too much pressure for quick transactions especially at busy times.

I recently got back into retail (not fast food). We have 3 registers and we tend to bounce from one to the other as well as preparing the product, taking incoming orders and calling customers to explain any problems with their orders to customers. We occasionally hear from store management that there was a shortage (or an overage :-)) and to 'be more careful'. Now the 'Front store' cashiers work one register at a time and have to log in and out every time they leave a register. I don't think they have to count in and count out but I expect that if there was an ongoing problem they would begin doing that.

Counting in and counting out takes time. If the amounts being lost are small enough (average over time) than it may not be 'cost effective' to do it. That is a management decision.

This is a 'late in life' career for me, and if it became a pain I could walk away anytime I wanted. So I am bringing a different set of experiences than some of the folks we have. I have seen a few cases where I suspected we would have a problem with the drawer. One was a case where we had some $10s in the middle of the $5 slot. This was in the late middle of the day so there had been probably five or six different people in the drawer. I called over one of the senior clerks showed her and mentioned it then moved the bills and pressed on. The store manager mentioned the next day that we were high in that drawer by $10. I figured that a customer gave us a couple 10s instead of 5s and no one noticed when placing them in the drawer. Another time I was at the register about an hour after opening and noticed that there were 3 $2 bills under 2 $20s in the 20 slot. The whole reason I noticed was I was getting a 20 from a customerand it is policy not to keep more than 3 20s in the drawer (others go in the dropbox) I finished with the customer and saw the Store manager walking by so I called her over. Did these get included by mistake as 20s this morning of did we somehow get scammed today? She looked at it for a second then clocked the register off. She counted out the drawer so we could get back to work (It was our drive-thru register) and went up to the office 'to check things' She came back a few minutes later. She asked me if I thought I could have taken them in by mistake. I told her I didn't think so, especially since I tend to collect dollar coins and two dollar bills if I ever see them. There were three other people who had used the drawer. When one was asked if she could have taken a two dollar bill by mistake for a 20 she said 'No I got three this morning as twos. She was asked what she did with them. Well since we don't have a slot for them I put them in the 20s slot. Then she had gotten a 20 in and put it on top.

I guess my point is that if you hire honest people there will be some mistakes just due to human nature. If you feel that there is a problem with general honesty then you have to implement strict accountability systems some of which you will make sure everyone knows about plus some that only senior management (or maybe just security) knows about to make sure everyone does the right thing.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
....Yet all of that happens routinely all over America.
Just because employers do, or try to do that, doesn't mean it's legal.

I remember investigating a regional chain of gas stations. They complained about till shortages. My response is that when you pay the minimum wage you get employees who are either inexperienced or who can't find a better paying job, what do you expect?

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 05-29-2015 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment