Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM

507 posts, read 458,971 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm old fashioned (and pretty anti-drug), but do you think it is ever appropriate to include conversations about weed and/or other drugs during meetings? I live in a state where weed it now legal, but I know our employer has a policy before hiring that you must be drug free regardless of the new law.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Most of the time, it is brought up by the senior manager. For example, recently he mentioned there's a new pot store nearby our work because he saw a dancing person with a sign. Most enjoyed the conversation, but I could care less. Waste of company time.

Am I wrong for thinking it's out of line and inappropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:40 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I would never refer to anything illegal at work. Good way to get fired and possibly charged.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:52 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I would never refer to anything illegal at work. Good way to get fired and possibly charged.
He said it's legal in his state, though it is still illegal on the federal level. But just like gay marriage, this will be rubbed in the faces of those who disapprove, or would otherwise not be exposed to it. Kind of like any progressive change.

I say, if it's legal, than it's on the same level as alcohol. When I ask coworkers about weekend plans, many people say they plan to put down some cold ones. In the coming years, I'm sure more will be telling me they will be smoking dope and whatever else they decide to legalize. It's coming, so get used to it.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
It is appropriate to say that you prefer a smoke free workplace, and I think that is the law in CO & WA.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Passive aggressive way for the boss to let the employees know to not come to work high?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:10 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Actually it is legal for an employer to not hire, or fire, a person who smokes anything.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I'm not particularly old school, engage in occasional marijuana usage to treat long-term side effects for cancer and the anxiety cancer left me with, and would not work somewhere that had a hard line about what I do on my time off. That said, my coworkers sometimes crack weed jokes or tell stories of their youthful indiscretions and I am thoroughly scandalized by it. It is almost entirely the higher ups (one the heads of my department's sons goes to a school with a well-known weed culture and is almost always the punchline) and happens a lot at our weekly staff meetings. It does not make me uncomfortable, but strikes me as wildly unprofessional.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:37 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm not particularly old school, engage in occasional marijuana usage to treat long-term side effects for cancer and the anxiety cancer left me with, and would not work somewhere that had a hard line about what I do on my time off. That said, my coworkers sometimes crack weed jokes or tell stories of their youthful indiscretions and I am thoroughly scandalized by it. It is almost entirely the higher ups (one the heads of my department's sons goes to a school with a well-known weed culture and is almost always the punchline) and happens a lot at our weekly staff meetings. It does not make me uncomfortable, but strikes me as wildly unprofessional.
I'm with you. Lots of people indulge outside the workplace, but that's where it should be kept. Same with how much alcohol you like to drink or any other personal habits. It's unprofessional, and people will remember what you said.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,969 times
Recently, my borderline hippie supervisor admitted in front of 10 people being an ex drug dealer, and that he sometimes walked around town loaded with cannabis doses. That was before he confessed he also used to steal massively at electronics stores. Then he advocated for a full scale violent revolution. I kid you not.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
It's similar to politics and religion.............best not discussed at work for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment