Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times

Advertisements

I would volunteer my time, plenty of purpose and structure in that. For me, working for someone else will likely never be more than a means to an end. So if I had the opportunity to not work I would stop without hesitation, but by no means would I be sitting home watching the grass grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Having a roof over my head and full belly sure beats being homeless and hungry. I was homeless and hungry for a period of time as a child and have ZERO interest in being either ever again. I'd work 4 crap jobs if I had to.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I would choose to work, not ANY job mind you, even if I did not "have to". I like working, maybe it's my age(28) but I can't imagine not working for the next five decades of my life. Maybe if I were 70 I would think differently.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I'm in between my undergrad and graduate degree so there were periods where I didn't work much. It got old fast. If I won the lottery today and didn't have to work again, I'd still have to do something. Not necessarily 40 hours a week, but still a job. I actually really like my job right now. If I could change the commute from 55 to 5 minutes and work part time, I'd work for free (assuming the lottery win).

Eh, scratch that. I'm traveling the world.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Nope, because the things I find most rewarding and fulfilling are not things that pay. I'd happily fill my time with my passions, and volunteering, if I didn't have to work.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
Wow - I'm certainly in the minority on this thread. I'm on my third career.

Spent 31 years protecting the public and most days I would have done it even if they didn't pay me. It was that rewarding. But it did pay me and that allowed me my second career as a fire department paramedic - which I did for zero pay for 20 years.

I looked at work in terms of what I could accomplish for others, not as being chained to a desk preventing me from doing what I wanted to do. It must have worked, because I made tens of millions of dollars back for taxpayers from fines, forfeitures and restitutions - many times what the taxpayer paid (and will pay) for my salary, expenses and pension. And there are a bunch of people alive today because I chose to go to work at a firehouse one night rather than stay home in bed.

But this was an eye-opening thread for me. It helped me understand some of the attitudes I saw later on when I was in management - some employees just don't want to be there. The only reason they are there is the taxpayer is paying them six figures to show up every morning. Hmmmmm.....

Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 AM

7 posts, read 7,079 times
Yes, but I would go to school and switch careers. Or maybe take a full time volunteer position.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I did what I loved before I was paid for it.

I once did it "on the side", basically pro bono. I established a business around what I love to do and do well. However it's still part time.

I would stop adjunct teaching at colleges and substitute teaching at local high schools. I don't dislike it at all , but I do it mostly for the money, so that would go.

I'd get a doctorate instead. Time better spent, in my book.

Really, it is possible to find work that is so enjoyable that the financial remuneration comes as a surprise. That's the sweet spot.

And I am very close to that now.

Bliss.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
I am 66 and have a part time job in a store because it is fun....I get to see and buy all the new styles as soon as they come out and I get a discount doing it. I actually retired and managed to not be bored for a month. My position now is not one of management-just one of the gang and I love it. Just volunteering was not enough for me so I still volunteer and I work 4 days a week, but can take vacation time-without pay- any time I want to so not strapped in. I always say I will stay home when it no longer is fun.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Wow - I'm certainly in the minority on this thread. I'm on my third career.

Spent 31 years protecting the public and most days I would have done it even if they didn't pay me. It was that rewarding. But it did pay me and that allowed me my second career as a fire department paramedic - which I did for zero pay for 20 years.

I looked at work in terms of what I could accomplish for others, not as being chained to a desk preventing me from doing what I wanted to do. It must have worked, because I made tens of millions of dollars back for taxpayers from fines, forfeitures and restitutions - many times what the taxpayer paid (and will pay) for my salary, expenses and pension. And there are a bunch of people alive today because I chose to go to work at a firehouse one night rather than stay home in bed.

But this was an eye-opening thread for me. It helped me understand some of the attitudes I saw later on when I was in management - some employees just don't want to be there. The only reason they are there is the taxpayer is paying them six figures to show up every morning. Hmmmmm.....
Judgey much? If I didn't have to make a living for myself (in a job with a very unpredictable schedule), I could fill my days with mentoring students, helping at a food pantry, volunteering with a city gardening club, attending zoning meetings to make my neighborhood a better place, making art and music, writing, educating myself, visiting with or driving around older family members, organizing fellow musicians into charitable works - all things I'd like to do, but can't because it doesn't pay and I'm beholden to this job that practically has me on call all the time.

I'm sure you do noble work. But not everybody would rather not have an official full-time job just so they can stay in bed all day. Maybe the employees you managed had hobbies and interests and passions. Frankly, you do noble work, but it does not sound like you have other non-paying things that you could tackle if you did not have your work. And that's probably not true, but as long as you're judging me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment