Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM

231 posts, read 782,789 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of halfway between sadboy and the happy workaholics.

I'll start off loving a job that entails 95% stuff I love, but 5% stuff I loathe or that just feels like a chore. After a while the chores start to grate enough that even the good stuff starts to be less fun. And there always is at least one mitigating factor that has prevented me from 100% loving any of my jobs, and it's usually something out of my control, like ONE aspect of the job I HAVE to do, or having to deal with one coworker or supervisor who I just don't like.

However, if my dream job were to come along and there was not ONE negative aspect -- all coworkers/supervisors were wonderful and we clicked brilliantly, payment and cost of living lined up perfectly, the location to live in was ideal, and I only had to do things I actually enjoy for the job -- then yes I would do it even if I didn't have to.

Otherwise, no thanks. I'm a writer, working as a newspaper journalist. My dream job would be to write and edit an arts/features section at a newspaper in some unique, artsy town. And get paid enough to live there comfortably. That's the dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM

658 posts, read 845,078 times
Screw it.
I wouldn't work in any capacity if money wasn't an issue.
Screw all the research that says I'd get bored or go insane if I don't work, even for myself.
I would be catching up on yearsssss of sleep working has deprived from me.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 PM

171 posts, read 195,847 times
I pretty much do the same thing for my job as what I do as a hobby, so yes.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,752,105 times
I'd quit in a heart beat, but then I'd figure out something I could do that I would enjoy and feel good about doing. And I'd travel..... a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment