Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:56 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't have to be right at average for the role. If I was 5% below average, I can live with it. That's an attainable amount to make up, with solid performance. However, when we're talking 15%+, then I know I'm being underpaid.

I also agree that it is a bad strategy by companies, and is likely a reason we see so much attrition, especially here in the Bay Area. On the other hand, much of this is centered around HR Bureacracy and restrictions. These may be tied to short-term profitability of the companies, where they cannot offer an employee a huge bump, as they're trying to keep their quarterly earnings in a target range.
There's not one standard salary band that all companies use.
To mitigate this problem, ask what the salary range is for the position during the screening interview.
If you have X amount in mind then as long as that X is between the min and mid of that salary band, you'd be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You can filter on location. I've found them to be accurate provided the job/company has a sufficient number of entries.
Relying on this type of on-line data for these types of estimations is, IMO, a bad idea. An experienced professional will know what they are worth, or can assess their worth through a few interviews or other, more reliable methods. For example, there are many professions that have Associations who do salary studies and publish those studies for the members of that professional association to see. The IIA (The Institute of Internal Auditors is one), Accounting, Nursing, etc.

A good barometer of common sense is to ask yourself, "if a potential employer asked me why I felt I was worth $xxx, what would I say?" Would you say "because that's what it says on Glassdoor.com"?

It's a resource to be considered but be leery and use other, more reliable methods for accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment