Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times

Advertisements

Background: I was hired into my previous company at a low level and received two promotions within a quick period of time. However, the salary bump was not commensurate with that level. About two years ago, I switched companies to again a higher level. I was honest about my current compensation and they offered me a 12% bump to switch. I tried to negotiate, but they were unwilling to do so. Since then, I have been a top performer at that level, but my salary is now about 25% lower than average for this role/level, based upon Glassdoor and other sites.

I have been interviewing for lateral moves, but with a salary much closer to the average range. My interviews have been going very well, until the current salary question comes up. As I'm not good about lying, I've been honest and have found one of two things occuring:

1. They assume that with my current salary, I'm not qualified for the role and am eliminated
2. They think I'm a strong candidate, but try to low ball me with salary

I feel like I'm in a vicious cycle and I just want to be paid what the market indicates I'm worth for this role. I'm not going to get that staying at my company. The salary increases will barely beat inflation.

My question is how should I address my current salary when it is asked? When I've been honest, its worked against me. When I've tried to avoid mentioning it (e.g., saying that its confidential), I've been eliminated from consideration. I could lie, but I'm really worried that they'll eventually find out and will eliminate me as well.

What can I do to earn a salary closer to what the market rate is for my role/experience/location? I used to think that my experience will speak for itself, but I feel that companies look for the lowest common denominator and will use this against me for negotiations. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
I think you may need to hop jobs twice since most employers might be okay with a 10%-15% bump but would balk at giving you a 25% increase.

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
I don’t see anything you are doing that is glaringly wrong. I mean the good news is that you are in the game and sounds like you are taken seriously by potential employers so that’s encouraging. There just (unfortunately) hasn’t been a match yet.

One thing is that the Glassdoor salaries aren’t always very accurate. They can be dated or sensitive to a region or just plain wrong. That said, I’m going to assume you know what you are worth.

My thoughts are this – a 12% bump isn’t bad. You’re on your way right? It just will take some time to get to average but you are on the path, just a matter of time.

When you say you’re interviewing for lateral moves but with a salary closer to avg, do you mean that you know the salary they are offering or are you saying you are asking for that salary? The actual avg range may be different than what you think – just a thought (although I know an unpleasant one).

The assumption in #1 you say they are making, consider that you are reading into that and it may not be their assumption at all. You really don’t know what they are thinking or if they hold any assumptions. Same for point #2.

But let’s assume you are right. The only thing that comes to mind that may help is thinking about how to talk about and phrase your current salary in a way that avoids them thinking you are not qualified or them trying to low ball you. In terms of low balling, if you suspect them doing that, try to pre-empt it by letting them know that you know how much you are worth (be sure of your worth though) and are expecting something in that range. If they ignore that and try to low ball you, remind them how much you are worth and what you are expecting. That’s all negotiation I suppose, which is what you are already doing. But perhaps phrasing things differently will help?

In terms of #1, it’s kind of the same thing - if you suspect them of thinking that, let them know that you know what you are worth more and that professionally, you are on the level they are looking for.

I don’t know, just some ideas. Again, I don’t see anything glaringly wrong with what you are doing. Sometimes it comes down to finding that match with an employer who is reasonable and a hiring mgr that gets it.

I personally think it’s a bad strategy to lowball people. It’s a very short sighted view that will end up costing the org $ due to turnover because it pretty much guarantees they won’t be there very long. I know that doesn’t help your situation very much but I bet there are people out there who know that and hopefully, your next interview will be in front of one of those.

Best of luck

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Have you asked the range of the salary? I would try to avoid how much you are making. For example they ask "how much are you currently making?" Turn it back to them. "The position is very interesting to me, what is your salary range?".

They may come back with "$50,000-$60,000". You can just say "great, that is right in line with my needs. Getting them to talk first is important, but challenging.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
One thing is that the Glassdoor salaries aren’t always very accurate. They can be dated or sensitive to a region or just plain wrong. That said, I’m going to assume you know what you are worth.

I appreciate your input. I agree that Glassdoor can be somewhat misleading. However, I also know that it is fairly accurate for both my company and my previous one. If anything, it may be slightly (ever so slightly) underreporting salary, since it may not factor cost of living adjustments over the past 2-3 years.

The only other point I'll add is that my current role generally calls for more years of experience than I have. I have managed to move up quickly and have proven that I can more than perform at this level.

I don't have to be right at average for the role. If I was 5% below average, I can live with it. That's an attainable amount to make up, with solid performance. However, when we're talking 15%+, then I know I'm being underpaid.

I also agree that it is a bad strategy by companies, and is likely a reason we see so much attrition, especially here in the Bay Area. On the other hand, much of this is centered around HR Bureacracy and restrictions. These may be tied to short-term profitability of the companies, where they cannot offer an employee a huge bump, as they're trying to keep their quarterly earnings in a target range.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Have you asked the range of the salary? I would try to avoid how much you are making. For example they ask "how much are you currently making?" Turn it back to them. "The position is very interesting to me, what is your salary range?".

They may come back with "$50,000-$60,000". You can just say "great, that is right in line with my needs. Getting them to talk first is important, but challenging.
I have in the past. I need to become smoother on how I deliver that question and avoid devulging my own information. I've found that it has led to an awkward conversation and evident to the Recruiter/Hiring Manager that I was trying to avoid the question.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I also agree that it is a bad strategy by companies, and is likely a reason we see so much attrition, especially here in the Bay Area. On the other hand, much of this is centered around HR Bureacracy and restrictions. These may be tied to short-term profitability of the companies, where they cannot offer an employee a huge bump, as they're trying to keep their quarterly earnings in a target range.
I think you are over-thinking it. Most of the time, your offer is based on your previous salary. I have made rapid hops, like two jobs in a year and the result was over 25% increase overall. If paying you an extra 15% is going to affect quarterly earnings, that's a company you don't want to work for.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I have in the past. I need to become smoother on how I deliver that question and avoid devulging my own information. I've found that it has led to an awkward conversation and evident to the Recruiter/Hiring Manager that I was trying to avoid the question.
Yeah, I agree here. I know there is a lot of info out there that says not to reveal your salary and make them make the first move.

Like Roadwarrior, I'm just not comfortable with that because it gets awkward. To me and my career, I have a very good idea of what I'm worth and what people are paying and so I know what range to expect if I interview for a lateral position.

I'm lucky enough to not be in the low range so I'm not as susceptible to being low balled. If something happens and I need to leave my current employer ASAP and therefore take a very lateral move, I'll be interviewing for a similar position. Those aren't hard interviews, I can show someone pretty fast that I know what I'm doing just by talking shop for a few minutes and mentioning some of the people I work with. So I'm not hesitant to let them know how much I make and then what I am expecting and willing to take. It'll make complete sense to them and they'll know I'm employable so am not desperate, and I'd probably be on the higher end of the range.

These are fake #'s but if the median is say 95k, I'd feel comfortable saying that I make say 100k but am looking to be slightly above that, in the range of 110-120. They'll offer 105, I'll counter and after the dance is done, we'll land on something like 107.

Point is that avoiding answering the question can be unpalatable to the potential employer. A better strategy I think would be to strike first and ask for the range - if one senses that it's OK to ask.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think you may need to hop jobs twice since most employers might be okay with a 10%-15% bump but would balk at giving you a 25% increase.
Got a 33% raise my last move but you're right in the main.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I don’t see anything you are doing that is glaringly wrong. I mean the good news is that you are in the game and sounds like you are taken seriously by potential employers so that’s encouraging. There just (unfortunately) hasn’t been a match yet.

My thoughts are this – a 12% bump isn’t bad. You’re on your way right? It just will take some time to get to average but you are on the path, just a matter of time.

When you say you’re interviewing for lateral moves but with a salary closer to avg, do you mean that you know the salary they are offering or are you saying you are asking for that salary? The actual avg range may be different than what you think – just a thought (although I know an unpleasant one).

The assumption in #1 you say they are making, consider that you are reading into that and it may not be their assumption at all. You really don’t know what they are thinking or if they hold any assumptions. Same for point #2.

But let’s assume you are right. The only thing that comes to mind that may help is thinking about how to talk about and phrase your current salary in a way that avoids them thinking you are not qualified or them trying to low ball you. In terms of low balling, if you suspect them doing that, try to pre-empt it by letting them know that you know how much you are worth (be sure of your worth though) and are expecting something in that range. If they ignore that and try to low ball you, remind them how much you are worth and what you are expecting. That’s all negotiation I suppose, which is what you are already doing. But perhaps phrasing things differently will help?

In terms of #1, it’s kind of the same thing - if you suspect them of thinking that, let them know that you know what you are worth more and that professionally, you are on the level they are looking for.

I don’t know, just some ideas. Again, I don’t see anything glaringly wrong with what you are doing. Sometimes it comes down to finding that match with an employer who is reasonable and a hiring mgr that gets it.

I personally think it’s a bad strategy to lowball people. It’s a very short sighted view that will end up costing the org $ due to turnover because it pretty much guarantees they won’t be there very long. I know that doesn’t help your situation very much but I bet there are people out there who know that and hopefully, your next interview will be in front of one of those.

Best of luck
You can filter on location. I've found them to be accurate provided the job/company has a sufficient number of entries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment