Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,383,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Start your own business.
Great Idea! Maybe like septic pumping or a porta potty business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:50 AM

6,444 posts, read 7,731,628 times
What other options do you have? Go ahead and look for something better and see if you get any bites.

This particular gig doesn’t sound like a dead end to me. Sounds like you have an opportunity for a great life. Personally, I’d stick with it, do my best and get a higher degree in the meantime so I can move up faster. It’s not just what you do now but all the things this can lead to if you do ok with this job and emphasize your education at the same time. In 5-10 yrs you can be in a great place professionally and financially. Experience + Education + Good Reputation = a nice existence.

In terms of ignorant and incompetent people, you’ll find that at most places – more or less of course. If you stay and move up you’ll lessen the # of such people (assuming you aren’t one of them).

And I agree w/froglipz that a job is what you make of it. This is a 9 month stint, quite you’re belly aching, do the job, and enjoy your time there and learn what you can while there.

Do your best at anything you do, try your best to get a full time offer, then decide if you want to take it or turn it down based on your circumstances and prospects. Basically, get the ball in your court so the decision is in your hands. And don’t lose sight of where things can lead.

Oh, and lastly...thank your father.

Best of luck.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,603,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVirginian555 View Post
I am a sewer cleaner. My day consist of riding around in a truck with some other guy and lifting manholes and putting a hose in the lines.
I never expected that the job was going to be this bad, and I don't know what to do.
No offense meant, but "this bad"? What part of "sewer cleaner" sounded... good?

Quote:
The work in my opinion is meaningless and I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything
That's not true. You are cleaning sewers. If that's the job, then you are accomplishing the job. Someone has to do it.

Quote:
Most of the workers and management are extremely ignorant and incompetent, I worked at a McDonald's that was ran better.
Again, no offense, jobs like that don't often attract go-getters who sought out the job because they get personal satisfaction from sucking crap out of sewers all day. They attract people who are willing to do any job, even a nasty one, in exchange for decent pay and benefits, and hopefully some assurance that their job won't dry up (no pun intended) tomorrow. They don't attract people who are looking to climb the ranks of a Fortune 500. You have to take everything in context.

Quote:
But yeah, I guess I can say that the Pay is alright, and I am self aware that I do make more right now than others my age.
That's something, I guess. Whether it leads to anything else is another issue, but maybe it's not an issue for you.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,277,273 times
Don't start on the college thing unless you have a specific plan. Just don't do it. You need to think that kind of thing through. Maybe take some community college courses to see, but don't go into debt without a solid plan of action.

Are there any vo-tech jobs that interest you? I always tell people that a welding certificate is a meal ticket. You'll likely never get rich, but you'll always be able to find a gig if you're willing to relocate.

Definitely apply for the postal worker positions. It's a good gig to have. People talk about "going postal" but all of the postal workers I've met have been fairly happy people.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,016,502 times
Your location does make a difference. In NOVA,Richmond etc.. plenty of opportunity. Out in the Applachian mtns not as much.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,236,257 times
Keep the crap job. Its money in hand, and not especially challenging or stressful. And could turn into something better.

Meanwhile take college classes, or join the military. But trust me, somedays you will look back and wish you were still doing that job.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 487 times
There are always options, but it is not fun to work in a position that you are not happy. If you want to take a look at the opportunity that I have available [url=http://www.giftshop.labellabaskets.com]Labella Baskets[/url]
I am always looking for hard working and motivated job seekers. All of my contact information is there as well if you have any questions.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,197,171 times
Quote:
2 months ago I got hired for my new job, I am a sewer cleaner. My day consist of riding around in a truck with some other guy and lifting manholes and putting a hose in the lines. I honestly cannot stand doing this job, and I feel trapped. My dad worked for the same Department (its a county Gov job) for like 30 years and he helped me get in. I never expected that the job was going to be this bad, and I don't know what to do. My parents are angry that I want to find another job, and I do not know what to do. I liked my old job, and worked their for 2 years and was never unhappy.

The work in my opinion is meaningless and I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, and most of the workers and management are extremely ignorant and incompetent, I worked at a McDonald's that was ran better. But yeah, I guess I can say that the Pay is alright, and I am self aware that I do make more right now than others my age. I just feel tired and empty all day, especially when I wake up early in the morning. Yeah, I would like to become a mailman or something, what are some good career options for a 20 year old?
Don't beef about a civil service job. Go back to school at night and get a better job with the county.
Don't be a gidrool (ji-drool). It's an Italian word for someone who stops learning while they are young. It also fits those with no ambition.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,994,987 times
Quote:

The work in my opinion is meaningless and I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything
Sounds like 80% of the jobs out there including mine.

If you want to do something meaningful, become an auto mechanic, but one that only charges people for services they need!

If you stay at those municipal jobs for long enough, at the end of the road could be a very easy, pretty well paying job of sitting behind a desk. Of course, it will take many years of hard physical work to get there.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,920,486 times
Don't quit till you have another job! And if you can't find one, keep on going to work every day. And if it's just a temp summer job...just do it. Get laid off in the fall and apply for UI. For that short time, you will be far ahead keeping the $14 per hour.

Here the lesson this should teach you. Get some kind of education that will get you a better long term job than sewer worker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment