Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 05:47 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,639,617 times

Advertisements

Been considering going back to school for nur, but have been doing research on COTA and OT Bridge program's. Been looking at job's available for all three positions seems to be a good equal amount of openings.

Any feedback if nursing or OT which one is better in terms of job opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
most definitely the one you enjoy most...

or did you want a "standard" answer of which one pays better?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
Nurses these days are hardcore. Work is shifting and duties are expanding, PA's and NP's are doing many of the things MD's did a few yrs ago, and so it goes down the line to staff nurses who are taking on more responsibility and different roles. It can be a rough and challenging environment. It can also be a good job or bad one. There are many dependencies. I advise people who are thinking of nursing as a profession to do their best to make sure they understand what it entails, have a plan for what you want to do within the profession and where you want to go, and do your best to make sure you are prepared for what it is all about, which is primarily centered around patient care and a large amount of dedication to the profession. If you're ok with that, definitely do it, but if you are ok with that, you don't need someone to tell you to definitely do it, you kind of know.

I don't know as much about OT. It seems like a very good profession.

Best of luck

Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
OT work is being recognized as one of the top ten fields to go into, which means the field will be flooded in coming years - so if you want to do it, jump on it now so you can get ahead of the hiring curve.

The OTs I know LOVE their jobs.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM

229 posts, read 382,004 times
From what I hear, OT is a lot less stressful than nursing but you can still make a good living. The drawback is that you have to have a master's degree in OT.

Edit: I realized that you put COTA. I'm not sure of the education requirements for that.

Last edited by greenmamba; 05-29-2015 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Additional

Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
From what I hear, OT is a lot less stressful than nursing but you can still make a good living. The drawback is that you have to have a master's degree in OT.

Edit: I realized that you put COTA. I'm not sure of the education requirements for that.
It's a 2-year degree for COTA. In the realm of two year majors, PTA and COTA are both much more in demand than LPN's.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 AM

299 posts, read 376,078 times
My wife went back to school to be a COTA. She is just finishing and doing her last clinical rotation and LOVES IT. I will tell you the subject matter of her classes were much more that I anticipated, especially anatomy. Go for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment