Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
People in customer service need to remember the customer is always right. Learn how to make them happy customers. If they're rude there's a reason.
Yep, pretty simple reason, it's that some people/customers are just born a55es.

Some customers expect you to be an expert on the 50k sku in inventory, everything from "what kind of rash is this and what do I put on it" to "what kind of motor oil do I need for my car", and if you can't provide an answer on the spot they like to yell at you for being stupid.
Some customers will ask you if your competitor carries the same item and get upset if you tell them you don't know.
Some customers 'report you' for following company policy or refusing to break the law for them. (I once had a guy call the cops because I refused a refund )
Some customers think it's perfectly ok to whistle for you like a dog, call you names, stick a finger in your face, or otherwise assault you.
So sorry, but the customer is not always right, not when they act like jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yep, pretty simple reason, it's that some people/customers are just born a55es.

Some customers expect you to be an expert on the 50k sku in inventory, everything from "what kind of rash is this and what do I put on it" to "what kind of motor oil do I need for my car", and if you can't provide an answer on the spot they like to yell at you for being stupid.
Some customers will ask you if your competitor carries the same item and get upset if you tell them you don't know.
Some customers 'report you' for following company policy or refusing to break the law for them. (I once had a guy call the cops because I refused a refund )
Some customers think it's perfectly ok to whistle for you like a dog, call you names, stick a finger in your face, or otherwise assault you.
So sorry, but the customer is not always right, not when they act like jerks.
Bingo.

In my experience, the rudest customers were the ones who'd get angry because I wouldn't violate policy or they were just racist. I'm an American, raised here my whole life, yet I had customers ask about my English speaking abilities, my citizenship, or my race. I'd politely say, "I'm sorry, but how is that related to (question/concern/help needed/etc)?" They'd get mad. Just because someone is a customer doesn't mean they get the right to make rude remarks.

At the end of the day, customers need a service or assistance and everything else is just distraction. Be polite, and if necessary involve a manager.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
Now here is my situation that occurred today. One lady asked me about some flowers. I said her that i don't know because i am just a cashier (and this is true, we have special people who know everything about flowers and other merchandise) and i don't know. Then she said something like "So you want to say that because you are a cashier you have no idea about all goods here?" and i said "yes" (ok, it was my mistake to give her the answer in such categorical form) and after that i said "If you want i can call somebody to help you". And after that she SCREAMED "Of course i want! I am a CUSTOMER!!!1111". (it was sounded like in her mind the customer equals the God or some king, at least). And when i started dialing, she started screaming, very loud and non stop. She was complaining to the manager, that she is a grown woman with some super valuable education, and she cannot stand such terrible customer service. After that she pointed her finger at me and said that i should be fired immediately. She was promising to write email to the management and do all others things to make me loose my job and make a lot of problems for the management, etc. etc.. She was in a huge rage. All this time i was standing at the cash register. I didn't talk with her anymore.
OK...I'm not excusing this woman's behavior at ALL, but here's what you did wrong.

1.) She asked you a question. You said "I don't know." That's not an acceptable answer.
2.) You offered to get help for her "if you want." Um, DUH...if she didn't WANT help, she wouldn't have asked you a question.

I know English isn't your first language, but people here (especially in the South) would interpret your responses as rude and flippant, even if that's not how they were intended.

Here's what you should have said: "I'm sorry, I'm new here and that's not my department, but let me get someone who can answer all of your questions for you."

Quote:
Here is my question - why the company cares so much about the feelings of the customers, but what about the feelings of the workers? This lady made my upset for the rest of my day and presented me the headache for the rest of the day. I don't get used to deal with such inadequate behavior. Seriously. She acted like an insane person. She didn't call me any bad words, but her anger and rude manners were absolutely outrageously. Basically all her argumentation was that she is educated and grown woman, and i should suggest her to call somebody immediately after her first question and do not tell her, that i don't know something.
The reason companies care about customers is that none of you would have a job without customers. Customers are the reason you're in business. Customers are the reason you have a job, and your job is to service their needs.

That's no excuse for people to be rude for no good reason, but you also need to get into the "customer service mindset." You're not in that mindset.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Nope. Not gonna chill out. Gonna go spend my money elsewhere. My field is customer service oriented. I know my stuff. OP needs to learn her stuff instead of asking more people to care about her instead of the customers. Assimilate baby! You're being paid to do a job.
If your field is customer service oriented, you should know how to be a better customer too.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM

92 posts, read 116,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
If your field is customer service oriented, you should know how to be a better customer too.
This. After working in customer service (not just the amusement park position I mentioned earlier, but also as a cashier at a store in a mall), I have a greater appreciation for those still working in customer service positions. I've learned to be patient and understanding in almost any situation. And, on more than one occasion have stuck up for customer service workers that are being treated poorly. They can't speak up for themselves (unless they want to likely risk their job), so someone has to!!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:43 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
Quote:
You do know that the customer pays your paycheck, right? So they are more important since they are bringing IN money and you are TAKING AWAY money - in the form of a pay check.

I cannot STAND when I ask a question and someone says "I don't know" and stands there. Burns me up. Recently we were at a restaurant, had just walked in and asked the girl the cost of one special being advertised.
"I don't know"
"Are you new? Can you check that little menu behind you? You wanna ask someone who DOES know?"
I was tired and hungry and felt like screaming.

Poor customer service is inexcusable. It will cost the company money. Learn how to do your job better.
I agree that is really annoying. I hate when they don't know and don't have any other solution for you. I should never have to ask...well, does someone else know?? But the OP said he tried to refer her to someone, so I think the big problem was that he said he didn't know first, instead of offering what help he could first, without giving that infuriating 'i don't know' answer. "I don't know" and "No problem, let me just check on that for you" are at once the same and opposites.

But the real problem is probably poor management. OP clearly hasn't been trained properly.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Also, I would say that instead of saying you don't know, just say, "certainly ma'am, I'll get someone from Flowers to assist you right away..." and in the meantime try to learn more about the store. It really would be best if you knew.
Yes, learn these lessons well:

In the USA, the customer is always right! They are not actuslly always right of course, but that means that you should treat them as if they were right. The customer brings money to the store, which makes the business wheels go round. As was mentioned, the customer pays your paycheck.

Often, all the customer wants is someone to listen to them. Look them right in the eye, and actually listen. Then address the person ("Sir" or "Ma'am") and agree with them. Look as if you were concerned, and offer your remedy for their problem: "I will get someone to assist you (or help you) with that."

If you just hurry away to get another person, you leave the customer (who doesn't know that YOU are not the right person) feeling that they are being ignored, and they begin looking around for someone else who will help. You come off looking stupid, or inexperienced. They don't want to know that you are a "cashier".

Being a "cashier" may be your actual job, but good customer service is the job of everyone who works at that store. It isn't just the manager's job. If you want to be a valuable member of the team, do not worry so much about what your "job" is. Try to learn to make the customer comfortable and feel as if they are being helped in some way. Try not to leave the customer standing around alone, not knowing what to expect.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Being a customer doesn't give you the right to act like a child. Sheesh.
I agree with this. I live in a summer resort area, and many of the businesses are staffed with kids, 15, 16, 17 year olds, and I see grown men and women being awful to them. I used to fight with my ex about this, he'd get mad because the waitress should have known this or that, and I'd say "you know she's like 16, right?"

The personnel should always be polite and civil, but so IMO should the customer. I speak up when I feel I'm not getting good service, I'll go get a manager, no problem, but I'm not going to stand there and scream or be rude and insulting to someone like some Jerry Springer lunatic. Have a little perspective, it's not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 AM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
The customer is always right, even when they aren't. As a customer service person (and a cashier IS a customer service person) you need to help the customer.

I agree with those who said the mistake here was not offering to get someone to answer the question.

I work in a pharmacy as a cashier, and many customers ask us what we recommend for X,Y, or Z. We cannot answer these questions, they must be referred to the Pharmacist. So even if I know which over the counter allergy medicine the pharmacists most likely will recommend, I can't answer or refer. So, rather than say "I have no idea", I am obligated to say...."I don't know, but let me get the pharmacist for you."

It's the same in any CS position. "I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but let me find someone who can help you." Said with a smile.

But I also agree there are lots of people who feel entitled to belittle the clerk, and that's just wrong.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
You do know that the customer pays your paycheck, right? So they are more important since they are bringing IN money and you are TAKING AWAY money - in the form of a pay check.

I cannot STAND when I ask a question and someone says "I don't know" and stands there. Burns me up. Recently we were at a restaurant, had just walked in and asked the girl the cost of one special being advertised.
"I don't know"
"Are you new? Can you check that little menu behind you? You wanna ask someone who DOES know?"
I was tired and hungry and felt like screaming.

Poor customer service is inexcusable. It will cost the company money. Learn how to do your job better.
OP, ignore this post. It's worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment