Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am also an economics major but graduated in 2010. I make about $60k in a fairly low stress, 40/hr week position and live in a very affluent suburb in Indianapolis. Houses here in Indiana are very reasonable, taxes reasonable compared to a lot of places, and wages high given the cost of living. It's not the most exciting place, but with relatively strong job growth, relatively low COL, it's a good place to make a go of it.

I'm going to agree with much of the mid west as being a place where it is possible for a young family to own a home with the white picket fence and two cars. Go on vacation once a year. One parent can stay home, or work part time. Reasonable taxes and decent public schools. Less of a rat race than the coasts.

Yes you get Big Winter - but flights to FL are affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 AM

229 posts, read 382,786 times
Columbus, Ohio has a lot of jobs and a low cost of living. There are plenty of things to do here as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Too many young people seem to believe that all college degrees are the ticket for high paid jobs. They are wrong. Some are very high paying, and others pay less than most high school graduates earn, especially in the trades.

The easy course, fun type jobs many people have degrees in, have 2 to 5 more available degree holders than there are jobs. Others you write your own ticket.

Take a look at what starting salaries average, and mid career point incomes after years of experience pay.

High-Paying College Majors and Degrees by School

Rule of thumb: The lower the starting pay, the more overcrowded that field is. Petroleum Engineers are about $100K to start. Those with the most overcrowded and few job degrees are one third of that. With 200 different types of degrees available, a lot of people made a bad choice if they wanted to make a good income.
I don't think this is true - Ie: the major at #200 is pastoral ministry. I don't hear that as a major that college students are flocking to.

The most popular majors are business administration and psychology.

Top 10 College Majors | About College | The Princeton Review

Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Multiple level marketing schemes that don't focus on the product are predatory at best. Plenty of amazing companies out there that happen to have an amazing product line where the product sells itself. If you are involved with a company that the focus is off the product and the product is not selling or getting into the hands of the consumer then you are not in a MLM you would be in a pyramid scheme. Any company that focuses on selling training or membership in the company or some other means other than the product that they say they are selling would be a pyramid scheme. For example with the company I am involved with, I want them to be a customer first. What good does it do to sell a product that you are not into.

The funny thing is that I can not find a product today that does not sell thru MLM. A lot of major companies have even switched to a MLM format for parts of the company.
Eh..it depends. Just because a company might sell though a MLM does not mean they condone it.

the problem with MLM is frankly you withhold any right to complain about product quality, price and service. It's pretty much blind faith. There is nothing wrong with direct selling but to require a salesman to sell something is a bit odd these days especially if it involves getting others in.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Eh..it depends. Just because a company might sell though a MLM does not mean they condone it.

the problem with MLM is frankly you withhold any right to complain about product quality, price and service. It's pretty much blind faith. There is nothing wrong with direct selling but to require a salesman to sell something is a bit odd these days especially if it involves getting others in.
My real problem with MLM is why anyone is dumb enough to actually work for one... If someone wants to sell items, they can cut out the MLM company and use amazon/ebay/alibaba/etc and dropship the item directly to the consumer from the warehouse/manufacturer after getting the order. It is exactly what the MLM company does, except you work for them and give them a cut of the profits when they don't any work.

If the person is going to put in the work of actually going "door to door" or "friend to friend" why not just do it with their own item?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment