Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:13 PM

765 posts, read 986,583 times

Advertisements

I personally would be glad quitting a job like that not feel bad.
Any job that comes with an incredible amount of stress that also prevents you from having a work life balance especially if the person is going to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,739 times
Thank you for the responses everyone. They are very helpful!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Suppose your wife suddenly took sick, and was out for a time. What's the company's backup plan in the event of a sudden absence or resignation? Its on them to have a contingency plan, not your fiancee.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If she is really that irreplaceable then they should have given her profit sharing, bonuses, equity in the company whatever it took to ensure her continued engagement. My guess is they did none of that and understaffed to boot. They took advantage of her and now the party is over. It is the owners problem now.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman77 View Post
Suppose your wife suddenly took sick, and was out for a time. What's the company's backup plan in the event of a sudden absence or resignation? Its on them to have a contingency plan, not your fiancee.
The business should of made a back-up plan. What if your fiance had a severe heart attack or something else which would mean that she left left immediately and would not return to work for weeks or even months.

The owners were selfish and short sighted and now they may suffer the consequences.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
I have left several business' that I couldn't imagine how they would survive, but they always do. No one is as important or irreplaceable as they think they are. I guarantee you they won't skip a beat.
If they had some financial problems they would kick her to the street without a second thought. Take care of yourself first, she owes them nothing.
Often times when giving notice you will be shown the door immediately, and left standing there thinking to yourself, but I can't be replaced, how could they treat me like this? Happens more often than not...

Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Business owners have to deal with things like this. That's just part of life. Your fiancee can give her notice and move on.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i would walk in tomorrow, and say, by the way, i quit, and then leave

Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I have left several business' that I couldn't imagine how they would survive, but they always do. No one is as important or irreplaceable as they think they are. I guarantee you they won't skip a beat.
If they had some financial problems they would kick her to the street without a second thought. Take care of yourself first, she owes them nothing.
Often times when giving notice you will be shown the door immediately, and left standing there thinking to yourself, but I can't be replaced, how could they treat me like this? Happens more often than not...
I absolutely agree.

It's something I thought about on my current job. Leaving means more work for those left behind, but that is not my fault or accountability if the business never responded to past complaints about lack of personnel and overload of work.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 PM

306 posts, read 431,396 times
The same way you quit any other job. Tell them you're quitting and give them notice if you can. I know she's trying to be nice about it and considerate about it, but things can't always be that way. Take the emotion out of it. Her success is the most important thing here.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
If she really is irreplaceable then the owners have the option to give her a retention bonus. She should give two weeks, because that is courteous, but if the owners really need her to train a replacement then they need to pay her to make it worth her while to stick around.

If the owners are smart, they will make it a large lump sum payment if your wife stays for a certain period of time. Something like an additional $10,000 if she stays for 6 more weeks. T could also be structured as an hourly/weekly increase, but that leaves them more vulnerable to your wife leaving at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment