Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:27 PM

163 posts, read 247,379 times

Advertisements

I was in a similar situation a while back. Mom and pop shop and was taking care of a lot of the work.

About 6 months before I planned on leaving I started handing tasks to some of the other employees. The boss caught on and asked whats up. "I may not always be here, it is ridiculous that I'm doing all this work. What if I fell off the map one day, could your company handle it?" My work load went down some and I started feeling less "key".

I put in my two weeks notice 4 months later and my boss thanked me for being kind enough to prepare them for it. He wrote me a wonderful reference letter and told me that he has my back if I ever find myself in a rough spot.

Have her start working now to prepare them for her departure. If they don't like it or want to adapt then it isn't her problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
The graveyards are full of indispensable men. Or people or whatever.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
It not her business, not her problem. She could stay forever because they are being reckless, but that's not her responsibility, it's theirs.

She gives notice, whatever she deems appropriate (two weeks, four weeks whatever) and moves on. Otherwise, she'll be there forever and will become their permanent crutch. She's essential now, but when she's gone they'll survive. If she was hurt, sick or hit by a bus, they'd survive. When she leaves, they'll survive too. No one is that indispensable.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The graveyards are full of indispensable men. Or people or whatever.
Lol this, kind of like a junkyard of old furniture. At the end of the day, for the average job theres not much distinction between employee and furniture. You're of use to the company till you're not of use, then.....bye bye.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
In a sense, she is enabling their poor business management skills, because they don't have to learn as long as she is taking care of everything.

But at the end of the day, she is an employee. You can better believe that if the business wasn't doing too well and the owners had to decide whether or not to to keep the business or keep her -- she'd be out on her kiester by sundown.

Her loyalty is admirable -- but her priorities need to be adjusted.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
One concern is that her boss is our landlord, so I think she is afraid he will raise our rent or evict us, but if it happens it happens I say. Can happen with any landlord. Probably nothing with happen though.
does your employee discount on your rent extend to part timers ? is staying on their payroll worth that perk ?

anyways, by law in most states you are required to give 0 days notice of employment termination (whether you are the employer or employee). sometimes the employee will gift the employer with a warning (usually 2 weeks) prior to leaving so that they are not rushed to hire a replacement.

not sure why that courtesy doesnt work in reverse. seems more important that if you are providing for a family to have a 2 week warning to look for another job before you are homeless ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-02-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
More of a question of how she quits.
Burn no bridges, leave on great terms and possibly be available to provide some small assistance to her successor if that happens within her time frame.

Be gracious and give 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks notice.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
i have another idea which is unlikely but worth asking. if your wife is very important to the organization, maybe use this opportunity as leverage to negotiate a raise. they will probably say no but it wont hurt since you are leaving anyways.

but if they realize that they will have trouble replacing her maybe they would be willing to double her salary.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
She has no obligation to them. The owners need to staff their business more appropriately. Give them the two weeks and resign - don't feel guilty over it.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
In a sense, she is enabling their poor business management skills, because they don't have to learn as long as she is taking care of everything.

But at the end of the day, she is an employee. You can better believe that if the business wasn't doing too well and the owners had to decide whether or not to to keep the business or keep her -- she'd be out on her kiester by sundown.

Her loyalty is admirable -- but her priorities need to be adjusted.
Basically this. The way I look at it, its not an employer problem if having to make a business decision results in you not being able to pay your rent or put food on the table next month. Harsh, but that's the reality: business is not charity.

With that said, its not an employee problem if making a decision to leave inconveniences the business. In each case, its an issue of lacking foresight/poor planning, whether it be the employee failing to have money saved for a rainy day, or the employer failing to have a business model that falls flat if someone leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment