Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 AM

3 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

Hi, Am 4 years experience guy in windows and vmware. Currently i have two offers-one with cognizant for vmware. And another with microsoft(contract position and no time period, its a permanant contract and chances are there for becoming a FTE) as share point support engineer. Can you guys help me to choose a company which will be better for my career in long term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Not sure how a group of strangers can truly know what's best for you. But assuming the contract status of MS isn't an issue. Both seem like great opportunities.

What do YOU want to do? It's that proverbial question - what do you see yourself doing in 5-10 years? Personally - at 4 years of experience, you are on that cusp of jr-mid level in your career. So I would continue to look at the one that gives me the best opportunities for growth as well as what they offer in the long term.

If you want to be in leadership, or like variety - a consulting/service firm like Cognizant may give you the breadth of opportunities. If working for one of the most well known companies in the world is appealing, then Microsoft.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,990,477 times
I would take the one that offers an opportunity for advancement without finding a new job.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyGamer View Post
Hi, Am 4 years experience guy in windows and vmware. Currently i have two offers-one with cognizant for vmware. And another with microsoft(contract position and no time period, its a permanant contract and chances are there for becoming a FTE) as share point support engineer. Can you guys help me to choose a company which will be better for my career in long term
Is the Vmware position a Full Time Employee? Recruiters often dangle the possibility of a becoming a Full Time Employee, but it rarely happens, often they throw up road blocks preventing it, after all if you get full time work, the don't get there lion share of your contract hourly rate.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 PM

Vmware position is a full time employee

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 AM

997 posts, read 1,308,429 times
Both good companies. Go with your gut.

Be sure to post back and contribute so others can learn.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,964,968 times
Both are good technologies to be in. My choice would be the VMWare job. Reasons:

1. Full time vs contract. Never consider contract to be permanent, no matter what they tell you.
2. Virtualization is hot and I think it will continue to be
3. Slight chance a VMWare job may be harder to offshore if you're working with the actual hardware
4. Personal choice...I am familiar with both, and while I like Sharepoint I find VMWare far more interesting.

However....also consider the salary, the company, the people you'll be working with...the benefits...etc.....

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 AM

Default Thanks guys....

I chose VMware... Thank you guys for guiding me. And the VMware profile I got is I will be managing a private and hybrid cloud. Also moving to a new technology like SharePoint I will be loosing all my previous experiences in VMware.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 PM

545 posts, read 1,480,916 times
You chose correctly. Lots of orgs are going the hybrid cloud route these days. Virtualization isn't going away while no one knows what Sharepoint is going to look like two years from now. Get some good experience with VMWare and Cloud services and you'll be golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment