Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:56 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times

Advertisements

You should totally do it, but there is a perfect way of approaching it-schedule once a week catch-up meetings with your boss where you would go over items that you have accomplished, things in the pipeline, items that you need his attention on. While you go over the things you did well, do compliment yourself by saying "I am so glad that I was able to complete this project by Tue, two days ahead of the deadline", or "That estimate from sales department sure looked off to me so I did some digging and here is what I think the issue is". Your manager is either inexperienced, or, simply, so much hands off that he would speak to you only if there is an issue. Also, managers might have a hard time to outright compliment their employees to say "Good job", I personally find it very hard to compliment for every little thing above and beyond, but I do give generous praise for something that knocked my socks off and of course at year end, go to the bat for my people in terms of $$ and promotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 04:30 PM

242 posts, read 244,616 times
If you have to point it out either your boss is inept or they figure what you are Doing is just part of the job.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
We have annual reviews where tooting our horn is encouraged. I personally keep track of items I want to bring to his attention and during the review period give him all the documentation I have. Him being my manager.
Same here, in fact we write our own performance review, and the manager above us comments on each item, then our annual pay increase is based on it. That is your opportunity to include those tasks that you did which were above and beyond your job description, or saved the company money. Hopefully you keep a document in your computer that is updated as things happen that you might want to use on the review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment