Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
If there really were a skills gap, companies would be willing to pay more, not less. Why do virtually all H1Bs come from India? Are they really the only country in the world with skilled workers? Why don't we see more workers from the UK, Germany, Japan, etc? It's because companies want to pay less. It has nothing to do with a lack of domestic talent.
You are 100% right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
No, it has to do with the lack of comparable opportunities and living standard back home. Did you notice that all of the other countries you listed in your comparision list were first world countries?
Please.

I have lived in Germany and the UK before and believe me, there are plenty of people there who would move to the United States if they could find a job here. However, they know the H1B route is a lost cause for them because they're not in India. Simple as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have lived in Germany and the UK before and believe me, there are plenty of people there who would move to the United States if they could find a job here. However, they know the H1B route is a lost cause for them because they're not in India. Simple as.
Have you also lived in India? Then you would understand the desperation some have for a better life.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Have you also lived in India? Then you would understand the desperation some have for a better life.
I don't care about what people in India want.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Personally, I've never seen the Kardashians TV program and I make my own coffee, so please don't paint all of us with the same broad brush. I lost a much-needed full-time job in Arizona four years ago. It did not go to a Latino immigrant, legal or illegal.

I lost it because my employer went bankrupt. Why? Because a group of wannabe Mitt Romneys, who had never run a company in that field before, bought it from the family that had run it successfully for three generations (the founders were Hungarian immigrants, by the way), and immediately began to expand it. All of us who worked there told them their strategy was ill-advised but they knew best. So by the end of the first year, they couldn't pay their bills. How did they handle that conundrum? They began taking orders from customers for product we did not have. But manufacturers then refused to fill those orders because the young takeover artists were in arrears on their payments. Not only did hundreds of Arizonans lose their jobs (and much of the back pay they were owed), but hundreds of our customers lost their deposits on merchandise. Nothing that bad happened to the takeover artists, though. They were restructured by the bankruptcy court, got to deduct their losses from their taxes, and they're still in business, taking apart other small companies here in the Southwest.
Too bad Mitt didn't buy your former business, chances are you would still have a job. News flash going into business is a gamble. There are no guarantees for it to be a success. At least there was someone willing to gamble his money on the business. If he was successful I'm sure someone would still complain about how evil and rich he is. People that start and or buy business should be celebrated for taking the risk and possibly starting new jobs. Instead people in this country sneer and ridicule business owners till they need another job. I work with business owners old and new everyday. I see them pour money to open business and most are closed before the year is up. Where will this country be when those special people stop trying? Oh that's right its been happening for the last 6yrs.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Exactly ... contrary to popular belief, the U.S. is not the world's benefactor. There are plenty of American citizens out of work and living in squalor that need our help first.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If markets and immigration were truly free, you could. But they aren't and most other countries have far stricter controls.
And what foreigner wants to live in India or China and make their living wage ?

Last edited by Soup Not See; 06-08-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Agree, but aren't the controls supposed to be a function of the domestic unemployment, economy and market capacity?

And for everyone asking to totally scrap H1B visa, do remember that the top US corporations go to several non-US schools and recruit top talents at very high starting salaries. For example, Engineering graduates at IIT, India are offered starting salaries of 125k+. These are the top talents that justify H1B program.

link - Facebook signs up IIT graduates for Rs 1.55 crore; companies offer more jobs this placement season - timesofindia-economictimes
Then why aren't these top talents paid more to stay home and work in their own country ? Show me one factual study that proves we don't have enough top STEM talent here already. The H-1B program is not justified at all, just perpetuated by the political "contributions" of those foreign firms already entrenched in the program.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Why is it the Americans problem that India(Indians) can't progress??? & stop multiplying like rabbits???? We have enough homeless here as it is!!!!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Neither do I. I was just answering your question about "Why do virtually all H1Bs come from India?".

Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Neither do I. I was just answering your question about "Why do virtually all H1Bs come from India?".
I didn't ask that question.

I already know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment