Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times

Advertisements

I would never take any job where I had to work like that! (Luckily, I know I won't need to, so I can say that.)

I'd get nothing done and probably have a nervous breakdown before the first week is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:13 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's been a lot of focus on tech and creative companies like Google. Here's a good example of how an old fashioned traditional company is going about it:
Every kind of space imaginable EXCEPT Private space. Sometimes you need a room with a door you can close to concentrate on work without distractions. Not every task is a collaborate effort, sometimes you need QUITE to do your work.

Where I work now, it's cubicles, but I do have a room I can go to where i can close the door and get work done without distractions, I usually use it when I have to do mandatory training, or when configuring network equipment.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Another reason I dislike open offices. One time, when I worked in one, I recieved a call that a family member was in the hospital for something serious. At the same time, another family member, whom I was supposed to leave early to pick up emailed me that their flight back into the states was cancelled.

I was trying to navigate both issues while finishing my work. It was annoying to chronically step out into the hall to take a 30 second phone call to find out if I needed to go to the hospital, or if the issue didn't warrant me going until later.

I gave my manager a heads up that I may need to leave early, but I didn't really feel like letting all my colleagues know. A similar situation happened at my current job, and I was just able to close the door and handle things. Less disruption to getting my work done, and folks just assumed I was on a conference call.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,466 times
I hate it. There is absolutely no privacy. I can't even open my email without someone else trying to read what I'm reading. Annoying as hell.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I work in an open office.

If you don't work in one....YOU DON'T WANT TO.

You can not only HEAR everything your coworkers say...you have to listen to them snort wet snot and cough all day long, or smack their food as they eat at their desks. You'll feel every movement they make. The guy next to me pounds his keyboard so hard that my monitors shake.

You cannot escape the noise.

AT.

ALL.

You're naive to think any manager in an office with a door is going to care about how noisy the bullpen is.

"Just put on headphones."

Oh, OK...so let's cover up noise with MORE noise. That doesn't work for all of us, you know.

Now let's move on to SMELL. You will smell everything your coworkers eat. During AND after. You'll also smell their perfume, cologne, aftershave, lotion, and worst of all, their BODY ODOR and their FARTS.

Finally, let's move on to sight. Since there are no walls, you will constantly see people moving around in front of you and in your peripheral vision. If you startle easily (as I do), then the constant flow of people walking behind you is going to make your life a living hell.

Not to mention that every time any jerkwad in an office with a door walks by the open desks, they peep at EVERY. SINGLE. MONITOR.

Yup.

Open offices RAWK, y'all.

You can HAVE mine. I HATE THIS TREND AND IT NEEDS TO GO AWAY. WORST. IDEA. EVER.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Every kind of space imaginable EXCEPT Private space. Sometimes you need a room with a door you can close to concentrate on work without distractions. Not every task is a collaborate effort, sometimes you need QUITE to do your work.

Where I work now, it's cubicles, but I do have a room I can go to where i can close the door and get work done without distractions, I usually use it when I have to do mandatory training, or when configuring network equipment.
I don't really follow what you're saying. When you need to complete something in a private area, just head over to a huddle room and close the door. It doesn't really matter whether you have cubicles or not. You won't even notice the difference from inside the huddle room.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I work in an open office.

If you don't work in one....YOU DON'T WANT TO.

You can not only HEAR everything your coworkers say...you have to listen to them snort wet snot and cough all day long, or smack their food as they eat at their desks. You'll feel every movement they make. The guy next to me pounds his keyboard so hard that my monitors shake.

You cannot escape the noise.

AT.

ALL.

You're naive to think any manager in an office with a door is going to care about how noisy the bullpen is.

"Just put on headphones."

Oh, OK...so let's cover up noise with MORE noise. That doesn't work for all of us, you know.

Now let's move on to SMELL. You will smell everything your coworkers eat. During AND after. You'll also smell their perfume, cologne, aftershave, lotion, and worst of all, their BODY ODOR and their FARTS.

Finally, let's move on to sight. Since there are no walls, you will constantly see people moving around in front of you and in your peripheral vision. If you startle easily (as I do), then the constant flow of people walking behind you is going to make your life a living hell.

Not to mention that every time any jerkwad in an office with a door walks by the open desks, they peep at EVERY. SINGLE. MONITOR.

Yup.

Open offices RAWK, y'all.

You can HAVE mine. I HATE THIS TREND AND IT NEEDS TO GO AWAY. WORST. IDEA. EVER.
I would hate to work where you work. This is more telling about your place of employment, the people there and yourself than it is about office environments in general. I've never experienced even half of the issues in any kind of office setting that I have worked.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
I don't really follow what you're saying. When you need to complete something in a private area, just head over to a huddle room and close the door. It doesn't really matter whether you have cubicles or not. You won't even notice the difference from inside the huddle room.
HAHAHAHAHA.....what "huddle rooms"? We don't have any of those. We have small meeting rooms that are always occupied by a single person trying to find some peace and quiet. They are booked around the clock and days in advance.

HA!

"Huddle room."

Quote:
I would hate to work where you work. This is more telling about your place of employment, the people there and yourself than it is about office environments in general. I've never experienced even half of the issues in any kind of office setting that I have worked.

I have interviewed at two companies, also with open office plans, that were just as noisy and stinky as this one.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would absolutely hate that. I loved have a private office....I honestly feel non-productive in a setting with shared office space, or like the pic depicts....it would be torture for me.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Just looked at the Dow Jones video. Was that a joke? I mean rocking horses for chairs? I couldn't work there no matter how much they paid.

I need space to keep my reference books and spread out my work. And folks shouldn't assume that you don't need paper because everything is on line. No, everything is not on line. And if it were, I'd need about six monitors to spread it all out. Right now I have two full size monitors and still do prints on 11x17 paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment