Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:42 AM

493 posts, read 514,600 times

Advertisements

I know three people who went to work at Starbucks after graduation from college.

One works at a Starbucks in San Diego as a manager.
One works at a Starbucks in Los Angeles as a regular barista. He has been out of college for several years.

Another worked at a Starbucks in San Diego for a couple years after graduating, but she found a full-time job through connections - she replaced her friend when he quit the position to attend grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM

29,810 posts, read 24,891,001 times
I only knew one person who worked at Starbucks. When they graduated, they were offered a management position. They chose to look for something else, but kept working at Starbucks in the mean time. That was a year ago and I have no idea how it worked out.

Starbucks seems to be a popular choice for people attending college. Might have more to do with coffee than anything else. Millennials like coffee, and coffee is great for staying awake during boring, uninspired lectures.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I see a lot on C-D and other forums about people with English PhDs etc... being baristas at Starbucks.

I'm wondering if there is any data to actually prove that.

Lately I've been chatting with the Starbucks staff whenever I go to different locations. I've now done this at about a dozen locations around me and when I travel so not a big sample size... however...

The only people that have a degree (or admit to it) are the store managers for the most part. A Starbucks store manager makes in the 45-60K range in my area, so that's an acceptable position for a college graduate. There were a few baristas who were recent graduates who said they were in the process of looking for a different job. I don't know if they found jobs - but of that minority most of them did move on.

The VAST majority of the baristas told me they were in college or had plans to start college at some point relatively soon.

No one ever said they had a master's or higher and quite frankly most were too young to have accomplished that. The average age of the baristas I've talked to is definitely in the mid 20s, probably 27-28 at the highest except the managers.
I don't know if there is an abundance of overeducated English majors working as baristas, but one of my ex's has a masters in English and he was a barista at starbucks. Last time we ran into each other last year, he had switched to retail. Same story. He couldn't find anything that would utilize his degree. And since it's been so long since he graduated, it was looking not good for him.

It's not English majors. I graduated with an engineering degree a few years back and had been working for a reputable firm in my area. Now, I'm about to start working for a much bigger company with a much better position and better pay. Yet, last year I ran into a guy I graduated with. He was working at a retail store. It was painful to talk to him and hearing how he was never able to find a job and had to settle for a retail job to stay afloat.

I believe there are a lot of college graduates that can't find a job and eventually their degrees became stale. Our economy is saturated with college grads. And that's just half of the problem. The other half is these unfortunate souls are stuck in limbo. They are expected to sort after a professional job even though they can't find any.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
myth to me, they want to work there so it's their choice... how are they underemployed if they have a job? just not liking it doesnt mean they are underemployed. if they only get 15hrs a week, that might be under employed but they can find another 15 hours if they wanted too... again they choose to not work more hours for things like family or school. you dont call people working 50+ hours over employed do you? like if they only worked 40, they would hire a second person too?

I work in a convenience store and have worked there with a number of college graduates. Only ONE of them wanted to work there; he chooses to work part-time in order to keep his housing subsidy.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I work in a convenience store and have worked there with a number of college graduates. Only ONE of them wanted to work there; he chooses to work part-time in order to keep his housing subsidy.
considering that they have other opportunities, they are choosing to work there, for as much as you guys hold up how smart a college grad is, they sure are rather inept at finding a job that isn't higher than minimum wage...

My opinion is that they take those minimum wage jobs is because they watch too much tv/social media and think those are the only jobs available...

Even my lab aids make around $15/hr and they don't do anything but receive in lab samples and put them on the instrument line. It doesn't take a college degree to do the job either, they get benefits like insurance and pto and 401k... It's an entry level job for lab grads until they figure out what they want to do, some go into med school, others for pharm, etc. Most are just there for a year or so until they decide their next course of action. Sure it isn't a set for life job, or glamorous... but it's a "job".

If you are expecting me to feel sorry for people who can't find jobs because they just thought they would get a job in that field without doing their own research beforing choosing it, then don't. People make choices each day, they have to live with it. I live with mine, and I have a good life for myself.

Last edited by MLSFan; 06-07-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 01:07 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,912 times
When I worked at Starbucks I knew a few.

1. Had a masters in English but her latest job offer would have her driving 2 hrs to work as an adjunct position
2. One had a bachelors in art I believe, he had no plan on how to use it.
3. One had a bachelors in education but this was around the time Texas was laying off teachers.
4. One had a bachelors but was having problems finding meaningful work that paid well so went back to school to work on her MSW to become a LCSW.
5. Another guy had a bachelors but was a jerk so I never talked to him.

O.P. you may have come off as just inquisitive but we would get those questions all of the time. Some people may not have answered honestly because its embarrassing to work at Starbucks while you have a college education. Also some people work at starbuck's to network. So if you were in a field they wanted to get into they may have opened up. Lastly you only asked about bachelors not trades. There are people who work at Starbucks who are trained in a trade.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I only knew one person who worked at Starbucks. When they graduated, they were offered a management position. They chose to look for something else, but kept working at Starbucks in the mean time. That was a year ago and I have no idea how it worked out.

Starbucks seems to be a popular choice for people attending college. Might have more to do with coffee than anything else. Millennials like coffee, and coffee is great for staying awake during boring, uninspired lectures.
From working at Starbucks it has more to do with self esteem. No one wants to work at McDonalds after they turn 18. Even at starbucks customers look down on you but then you can look down on the person at subway.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
From working at Starbucks it has more to do with self esteem. No one wants to work at McDonalds after they turn 18. Even at starbucks customers look down on you but then you can look down on the person at subway.
so they want to play that game huh? To see who has a "better" job? When they can barely pay rent? Who cares? I respect the people that work worse jobs to get ahead. These college grads that just want an cushy easy job where they can act "bigger" than someone else deserve the low wages.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
When I worked at Starbucks I knew a few.

1. Had a masters in English but her latest job offer would have her driving 2 hrs to work as an adjunct position
2. One had a bachelors in art I believe, he had no plan on how to use it.
3. One had a bachelors in education but this was around the time Texas was laying off teachers.
4. One had a bachelors but was having problems finding meaningful work that paid well so went back to school to work on her MSW to become a LCSW.
5. Another guy had a bachelors but was a jerk so I never talked to him.

O.P. you may have come off as just inquisitive but we would get those questions all of the time. Some people may not have answered honestly because its embarrassing to work at Starbucks while you have a college education. Also some people work at starbuck's to network. So if you were in a field they wanted to get into they may have opened up. Lastly you only asked about bachelors not trades. There are people who work at Starbucks who are trained in a trade.
This is what's wrong with a lot of young people these days. Let me tell you something. When I first joined my current company, they had me work out of an office that was an hour and a half (with no traffic) away. I had to wake up at 4:30 or so every morning just to make sure I get there by 7. Sometimes, they wanted me to come in at 6:30, so I had to wake up at like 4 or earlier.

And now, just a couple years later I just got recruited by a much bigger company offering me 50% pay raise from my current salary. I'm determined to push into the 6 figures in a couple more years.

I really don't think many young people these days understand hard work and determination these days, and I'm a millennial.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Strong troll post
which one? all I see is someone with a strong work ethic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment