Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 AM

16 posts, read 22,356 times

Advertisements

So this is my first week on the internship, and I arrived at my current location from halfway around the world last Thursday. I'm getting f**ked by jetlag this whole week, and I'm afraid its making a bad first impression on my employers . No matter how late I go to bad, no matter how tired I get during the day, if I go to bed at 12am, I always wake up at 5. So after 5 nights, I tried going to bed at 10, and I woke up at 2am and can't fall back asleep. At work, I get very drowsy and I often have to go to the bathroom to sleep in the stalls. Does anyone know what to do? Last year and the years before, I also visited China and when I went home, my jet lag was gone within 3 days, though this time, I don't live at home but rather at my temporary apartment for the summer. I guess it might have something to do with my bedroom in my new apartment, though the bed seems comfortable enough and the curtains are closed when I sleep. The timezone between China and my home is 12 hours, whereas at my current apartment, it's 9 hours, though I'm not sure if that really means anything. Also, should I mention any of this to my employer? I feel like they'll think I'm just making up excuses and make them feel even less of me, but then again, I can't control this at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Coffee, sugar, and bethel during the day, and get a 3 mg melatonin pill around 9 pm. Next morning you'll feel better.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Coffee, tea, exercise, medication, meditation... try and see what works and helps break the pattern.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:26 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times
Skip a sleep cycle, caffeine to compensate.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Also, should I mention any of this to my employer?
If they are a chinese company... don't bother. In a country of so many people, where it is easy to replace someone, they just don't care :S Do the job you signed up to do, everything else is your own personal problems, get over it on your own.

I never found it hard to adjust 12 hours, stay up on the flight and sleep at the local time's night hours on flight, and not your body's clock.

Same thing when you are there, just stay up 20 hours or something. If you can't do that, do the opposite on the weekend/day off. Stay in bed for 20 hours (or most of it). Don't play on the computer/phone/tablet. Just keep lying there even if your eyes are wide open. Shut them, and meditate until you fall asleep.

get into a morning routine, go for a walk around the block when you wake up, I don't care if it is 4am, just do it for the first week. Having a "project" in the morning will help set your clock.

mostly, it sounds like you are nervous about it, more than any jet lag problems, you just can't get "settled" in because of the differences. Nothing to do with jet lag, everything to do with coming to terms that this is now your new life. You just left everything behind, and you're your own person now so you have to take responsibility for everything

Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 PM

16 posts, read 22,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
If they are a chinese company... don't bother.
No its an American company. If I wasn't specific enough in the OP, I meant I came FROM China (I was visiting family there) to my current location in the US last week.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Melatonin should help. It regulates sleep cycles.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl12345 View Post
No its an American company. If I wasn't specific enough in the OP, I meant I came FROM China (I was visiting family there) to my current location in the US last week.
ok... so what about the rest of it?

I still think it is the new-ness of it to you that keeps you from getting a good sleep. Not the jet lag itself.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Red Bull Gives You Wings - RedBull.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment