Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 02:25 PM

76 posts, read 92,643 times

Advertisements

Fresh grad here hoping to get some thoughts on job hunting. With almost every medium-sized or larger company now using some sort of applicant tracking system (Taleo/iCIMS/etc), the majority of resumes submitted are never even read by a human. What's the best way to go about getting a pair of human eyes to at least take a look at your resume?

What are your thoughts on following up by contacting a recruiter a few days after submitting an application through their portal just to say something along the lines of "I applied for this position and would love to be considered."?

Which leads to a second question, at large companies it's difficult to tell which recruiter is in charge of filling which positions. Should I reach out to several of them with the same message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Reaching out to recruiters who aren't responsible for the specific position is going to be a futile exercise. They might delete the email your second they see it is not one of their positions. I wouldn't recommend you do it. I could see it being annoying if a lot of candidates started doing it.

Try contacting your school's alumni, track them down on LinkedIn or via your school's alumni directory and ask them for 15 minutes to talk about a specific career choice. Most should be willing to help, if approached for mentoring. And if they seem interested in helping, ask them to refer you to their HR.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Reaching out to recruiters who aren't responsible for the specific position is going to be a futile exercise. They might delete the email your second they see it is not one of their positions. I wouldn't recommend you do it. I could see it being annoying if a lot of candidates started doing it.

Try contacting your school's alumni, track them down on LinkedIn or via your school's alumni directory and ask them for 15 minutes to talk about a specific career choice. Most should be willing to help, if approached for mentoring. And if they seem interested in helping, ask them to refer you to their HR.

Good luck!
Yes
Bcus most colleges have NO type of placement help beyond having companies come to interview on campus and think that isn't big deal anymore like it was in past

Suggest you also contact your fraternity/sorority if you belong and any professional organizations that your degree might allow you to join as a newbie
Reduced rates for college members in many of them
Bigger cities have meetings for alumni/professional groups
Go meet people
See if you click with anyone

Most people in college try to leverage intern slots into full time offers
Did you do any interning?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:52 PM

76 posts, read 92,643 times
Thanks for the replies, I've been working on building up my contacts.

If this is a particular company where I have literally zero contacts though, whether it be through alumni or family/friends, is there anything I can do after submitting my application through the portal?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
try going up to HR ask just asking for the manager/highest person in charge?

most of the time, the manager is "free" enough to see a visitor, and until he sees you, he won't know why you are asking to see him. He'll still tell you to apply online, but you can make it a point to keep an eye out for you.

Yeah, you are depending on how well you can sell yourself in those few minutes so come up with a good speech and make sure you have a good personality... but it doesn't hurt your chances either. At least no more than if you had applied online and then forgot about it.

You can find out a bit more on the position too from talking with him, then fix the application with that in mind. kind of cheating in that you see what their hand is before you give them your application, everyone else will be applying based on the info posted on the internet, and not the type of person/skills they are looking for, if you can get it out of the manager during the talk

not much different than before internet age... you just have to do things in person if you have no network

it works better than trying to email directly, they will always just reply just fill out online application. It's harder to say that in person because they already took time to talk to you

Last edited by MLSFan; 06-15-2015 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment