Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 PM

7,973 posts, read 4,964,806 times

Advertisements

If so.. What has been the reasoning for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,834,888 times
No. Most people hate the job (they whine incessantly when the boss isn't around), but it is stable and it pays well.

High turnover occurs when the working environment sucks and the pay sucks. In my experience, people will put up with all sorts of crap if a job pays decently. With $10/hr. jobs being the norm in today's world, it makes sense.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,381 posts, read 80,775,059 times
No, we actually have very few people leaving until retirement, but recently the big push has started. With about 2,000 employees, the average age is 49, and with the experience required for most jobs the new replacements are generally in their late 20s-late 30s.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:10 AM

10,825 posts, read 14,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, we actually have very few people leaving until retirement, but recently the big push has started. With about 2,000 employees, the average age is 49, and with the experience required for most jobs the new replacements are generally in their late 20s-late 30s.
I work in an industry where 80% of certified people are over 40 years old while half are in their mid 50's and up.

I am fortunate that there's a severe shortage of qualified technicians, that will soon become extreme because of ever increasing retirements, so we're never messed with. I'm 67 and my employer knows if I wanted a job I could find one in a day or two.

Looking back over the years at other design technicians it's actually a rare thing for someone to switch jobs... seems working for the same employer for 10, 20 or 30 years is the norm and not the exception.

99% of employers pay for health insurance with dental and eyes.

75% have a retirement plan even if it's just matching IRA contributions and a lot of companies match.

It dawns on me we get all the normal holidays off with pay but we don't have any set sick, personal or vacation days. If we are sick we take off and get paid, if we need a day off we take it off and get paid and as far as vacations it's really not defined but if you take a vacation you get paid.

But in my world there is a trade off; I am the only one in the company that can do my job and in most companies having < $5 million in sales that's the case so here it is just me. The trade off is while I have an open schedule (if I want to take tomorrow off I certainly can) if there is a job to complete I have to do it because I am the only that can. Sometimes this means Saturdays and Sundays and sometimes working into the evening putting in 13 hour days which is rare but it does happen. If I don't do it it doesn't get done and the company grinds to a standstill which can't be allowed to happen. So it is a trade off giving me freedom that most employees can only dream of but once in a while, maybe three or four times a year, it's crunch time and I'm a willing slave.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,392,695 times
Minimal turnover at my curret job. At my last job at Pepsi huge turnover. The place was a morale disaster. They played all sorts of games packing the place with permatemps, treating them like crap banning them from parties and social events, messing with their hours, kicking them out of meetings where they could learn and contribute etc. Workers were generally treated like parasites and outsiders and alienated, because of the temp crap they were paid far below market rates with no benefits at all even PTO. To top it all off their PR department kept putting out daily emails what a moral and great company they are to work for. They could not even hang on to their direct employees as a result.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:48 AM

12,082 posts, read 23,205,165 times
I used to. Pay below the industry standard was the primary culprit.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,910,548 times
I work in retail, turnover is well over 90%. It's not a career unless you're in upper management.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM

144 posts, read 341,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I work in retail, turnover is well over 90%. It's not a career unless you're in upper management.

I also used to work in the retail. I would put turnover of part time employees at well over 100%. If a full timer employee made it past 90 days they would likely be there for at least a year many more were there for much longer than 5 years. Most of the time if I ran into someone who left and asked them why they left they would attribute it to pay or lack of full time opportunity. What I don't think the people above my pay grade understood, as I have said on this forum before, is that when you are working part time and living pay check to pay check that you can't look at things like paid time off or a 401k you have to look at how much you have coming in each week. When you are living week to week then something like 50 cents or $1 more an hour can seem like a life changer.

I now work in a warehouse environment and turn over is probably below 50% most of the new faces are kids that we know will be there for our busier summer months and will leave us around August. It is planned turn over; the unexpected turn over is probably at 20%. We pay better than most of the other warehouses that do similar work and typically don't mess with staffing agencies unless it is for a small project that is only going to be happening for a week or two.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 AM

29,715 posts, read 24,806,769 times
I have worked for a wide variety of manufacturers. Yes, turnover is quite high. Layoffs, an overabundance of unqualified workers and workers leaving for better pay are the perpetual norm.

There is a short list of qualified labor. It is not uncommon to see familiar faces at new jobs. The workforce has become rental property, and the output/quality reflects this.

Employers on the bottom end of the totem pole are scared. They have no strategy or plan to deal with a shortage of workers. The companies on the top are taking notice because they have literally exhausted all options in their supply chain in many cases.

Companies are also scared to train/invest in new workers. Employees are just so quick to leave. And they could never make a dime on a trainees time for years to come. Besides that, I don't know what employers expect to get for 10 bucks an hour, in terms of trainable workers. This is really going to effect a wide variety of industries for years to come.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,414,641 times
Quote:

Companies are also scared to train/invest in new workers. Employees are just
so quick to leave. And they could never make a dime on a trainees time for years
to come. Besides that, I don't know what employers expect to get for 10 bucks an
hour, in terms of trainable workers. This is really going to effect a wide
variety of industries for years to come.
The solution should be simple. The best companies look for great candidates. They pay to train these people, but want to lock them in at a certain rate and keep giving them controlled raises.

The reality for people in high skill/ demand professional services is that they can make more money by jumping to the competition (with their new training) than by staying and being loyal to their company (that would slit their throat as soon as look at them anyways someday if push came to shove). So, if companies don't like their high skilled people walking out the door, then pay them market. Then, they won't have the issues with their high value assets walking out the door and losing their efficiency and organizational knowledge.

But no, what we have now is the best companies fight over the same elite 10-20% of workers in a field. The best hop around because they can, and the companies have no one but themselves to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment