Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 AM

19 posts, read 29,061 times

Advertisements

Been with this company 9 months and I really don't like my job at all. The work is mundane, mind-numbing, and far below my skill level. I paid off my student loans and I have enough saved up to live for a year, so I've gotten to the point where I don't care that much. I'm thinking about taking an insanity wolf approach to this performance review.

We have a form to fill out with a section for "thoughts about the company." What are my thoughts? The training was poor (almost nonexistent), the coworkers are rude and condescending, the office is in a bad part of town, and the industry is of no interest to me. I find the job depressing and I don't need this paycheck anymore. I have a 4 year degree in biology and I'm pretty much a glorified secretary for a bunch of people getting paid 6x as much as me who don't appreciate my hard work.

Yes, I work very hard and go far beyond the job description.

I have a vacation in July, I have enough to live on for a while, and I really don't care. Is there a chance an "insanity" approach to this performance review could be beneficial? I don't mean screaming and acting like a fool, I mean being blunt and speaking my mind. Saying that I don't like the work and I'd be glad to stay at the company if they would utilize my skills in a different way. Should I be honest about my feelings and how I plan on doing more, and if they don't give me that opportunity I'll be out the door?

Most importantly, should I tell them I plan on going back to school? At the moment I don't have any solid plans, but it's certainly in the cards.

Has anyone ever taken a wild approach to a performance review and gotten good results? I don't care to waste my youth answering phones and being subservient to a bunch of people I can't stand. I'm fully prepared to learn a "hard" lesson, I have a support net... What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Wow. You can be honest without being so negative, especially if you do have some interest in remaining employed there under adjusted circumstances. I would not recommend putting anything like that in a written review unless you are determined to go down in flames. I think you can save the tougher stuff for your review meeting with your supervisor. However, threatening to quit will get you nowhere other than fired. You're not in any position to make demands from your employer. I would also suggest dropping the entitled attitude.

If you have no concrete plans for going back to school, there is no point in mentioning that now.

Since you think your youth is being wasted, what had you planned to do after graduating with a biology degree? What do you wish you were doing for work?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Unfortunately most jobs are very boring and have some difficult people that you have to deal with. If you are moving on, have a positive attitude and leave on good terms. I wouldn't bring up anything at the performance review.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM

144 posts, read 342,372 times
I would never take the wild approach. You burn bridges that you may need to call upon one day when applying for other jobs.

You can constructively criticize if you want, but be warned no one like criticism even if it is well thought out and constructive.

If it is time for you to move on then simply state that you are no longer interested in this line of work, thank them for the opportunity, and move on.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Remember, you are the one who applied for and accepted a mind-numbing job below your skill level.

If you want to stay there, ask what you can do to get promoted.

If you don't want to say, offer some constructive criticism and look for another job.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Wow. You can be honest without being so negative, especially if you do have some interest in remaining employed there under adjusted circumstances. I would not recommend putting anything like that in a written review unless you are determined to go down in flames. I think you can save the tougher stuff for your review meeting with your supervisor. However, threatening to quit will get you nowhere other than fired. You're not in any position to make demands from your employer. I would also suggest dropping the entitled attitude.

If you have no concrete plans for going back to school, there is no point in mentioning that now.

Since you think your youth is being wasted, what had you planned to do after graduating with a biology degree? What do you wish you were doing for work?
Honestly I -am- in a position to make demands from them if they want to retain me. This "we're somebody and you're not, and you have to put up with whatever nonsense we throw at you" attitude is precisely why I want to quit. I -am- somebody, and I will -not- suppress my desires and dedicate my youth to some failing small business for a paycheck I don't need. So I would say I am in a position to make demands after all. They may fall on deaf ears, I might not like the reaction, but even if there's a mile long line of people waiting to take my job these people are still too picky to hire someone in a reasonable timeframe. So me leaving will be a huge inconvenience, even if they don't want to admit it.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM

311 posts, read 478,018 times
If you want to take the "wild" approach (and risk pissing off your manager in the process), you might as well do it in such a way to maximize the potential benefit. Take a look at your complaints:

"The training was poor (almost nonexistent)": That's a shame, but if you have already come up to speed on your job, nothing the manager can do at this point in time. This just stirs up anger, with no chance of benefitting you (although it may benefit the next new hire)

"the coworkers are rude and condescending" Sucks, but nothing your manger can do about it

"the office is in a bad part of town" Sucks, but realistically, your manger wont do anything about it

"and the industry is of no interest to me" Your problem. Your manger will suggest that you find a different industry to work in that is of interest to you.

Get the idea? Why bother bringing this stuff up? Asking for a raise or different responsibilities is fine; if your in a position where you really don't need the job, then go ahead and ask for a 50% raise, or a totally different role. But mentioning all of the above just creates friction, with no possibility of benefit to you.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane1888 View Post
I'm fully prepared to learn a "hard" lesson, I have a support net... What would you do?
Why don't you try growing up and just quit your job instead of trying to get fired because your boss makes you put together a stupid chair?

I hope that "support net" isn't your parents or other family members or friends. Because if you were my relative or friend, you'd be sitting on your duff without a place to stay.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
If you want to take the "wild" approach (and risk pissing off your manager in the process), you might as well do it in such a way to maximize the potential benefit. Take a look at your complaints:

"The training was poor (almost nonexistent)": That's a shame, but if you have already come up to speed on your job, nothing the manager can do at this point in time. This just stirs up anger, with no chance of benefitting you (although it may benefit the next new hire)

"the coworkers are rude and condescending" Sucks, but nothing your manger can do about it

"the office is in a bad part of town" Sucks, but realistically, your manger wont do anything about it

"and the industry is of no interest to me" Your problem. Your manger will suggest that you find a different industry to work in that is of interest to you.

Get the idea? Why bother bringing this stuff up? Asking for a raise or different responsibilities is fine; if your in a position where you really don't need the job, then go ahead and ask for a 50% raise, or a totally different role. But mentioning all of the above just creates friction, with no possibility of benefit to you.
I would only be interested in staying if I could have a different role entirely. Is this completely unreasonable? They have people in another branch with the same degree as me doing a job that is far more desirable. I'm no longer interested in this career path and every second I spend working there bogs me down.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM

615 posts, read 666,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane1888 View Post
Been with this company 9 months and I really don't like my job at all. The work is mundane, mind-numbing, and far below my skill level. I paid off my student loans and I have enough saved up to live for a year, so I've gotten to the point where I don't care that much. I'm thinking about taking an insanity wolf approach to this performance review.

We have a form to fill out with a section for "thoughts about the company." What are my thoughts? The training was poor (almost nonexistent), the coworkers are rude and condescending, the office is in a bad part of town, and the industry is of no interest to me. I find the job depressing and I don't need this paycheck anymore. I have a 4 year degree in biology and I'm pretty much a glorified secretary for a bunch of people getting paid 6x as much as me who don't appreciate my hard work.

Yes, I work very hard and go far beyond the job description.

I have a vacation in July, I have enough to live on for a while, and I really don't care. Is there a chance an "insanity" approach to this performance review could be beneficial? I don't mean screaming and acting like a fool, I mean being blunt and speaking my mind. Saying that I don't like the work and I'd be glad to stay at the company if they would utilize my skills in a different way. Should I be honest about my feelings and how I plan on doing more, and if they don't give me that opportunity I'll be out the door?

Most importantly, should I tell them I plan on going back to school? At the moment I don't have any solid plans, but it's certainly in the cards.

Has anyone ever taken a wild approach to a performance review and gotten good results? I don't care to waste my youth answering phones and being subservient to a bunch of people I can't stand. I'm fully prepared to learn a "hard" lesson, I have a support net... What would you do?

Think about the following scenario. You started business that you worked your arse off for. Working long and hard hours. You get to the point where you can afford more employees, business is growing.

Then you hire someone who gives you feedback about how the place sucks. Do you reward this employee? F no. Think about it. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet a knickle based on what I heard from you, you would show that employee the door and say F you.

If you want more money, be a cheerleader. Find good in the companies strategy and be all for it.
In your thoughts about the company for this review, write short easy to read succinct things you like about the company strategy in which they make money.

Moving forward (after this review), show them you are worth more money by doing things that are above your pay level. We have to take the initiative. We drive our own careers, bosses don't do that for you. Typically employers don't pay more first and then ask for you to work more. They give you opportunity if you are worth it. Telling them how the company sucks goes against what you really want (money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment