Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times

Advertisements

I agree with the "mind your own business" part.

I was once curious about a co-worker, a new mother, who seemed to always come in late when she drove from a different work site, took very long lunches, left early, etc. I never asked anyone about it but it seemed unfair. I found out much, much later that her newborn had some type of health problem. All of her bosses were well aware of her hours and agreed to her new temporary schedule of fewer hours at work. In fact, she may have even been using hours from the Family Medical Leave Act.

I am so glad that I never mentioned to anyone else that I had noticed her coming in late & leaving early, etc.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-15-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM

218 posts, read 392,622 times
Well I feel like this women is crazy. She tells everyone how her ex husband molested her daughter. How some of her children haven't spoken to her in 5 years because of accusation. She had her daughter on all this medication she tells us about. I feel like it's almost muchaussen syndrome or how ever you call it. I just don't believe her.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:48 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,224,411 times
I worked with a woman who faked a heart attack and got 6 weeks off work for non existent heart surgery.

Everyone knew she was lying but she had a doctors note so there was nothing to be done.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
You can believe whatever you want...so what? You opinion means very little and might end up in some kind of retaliation. I suppose you can try to throw her under the bus any chance you get....you probably already have! But save your energy for your own work - the world isn't fair and complaining about it seldom makes a difference.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
Then don't. I am fairly certain that a lot of people who call off are not sick. As a manager, I look for a pattern of sick leave use, and to see if the amount of sick leave used is in compliance with company policy.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,632,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Well I feel like this women is crazy. She tells everyone how her ex husband molested her daughter. How some of her children haven't spoken to her in 5 years because of accusation. She had her daughter on all this medication she tells us about. I feel like it's almost muchaussen syndrome or how ever you call it. I just don't believe her.

And again.... this is her business, and not yours. Everyone has a burden to bear. Some people choose not to share theirs. Let her do her thing, and you do yours. You will come out to the good in the end.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
This lady has only been here 4 months. Called out sick the first month because her teenage daughter was sick. Then month 2 left early sick and called in sick the next day. Said she had an ear infection and had vertigo. Then the next week came in 5 hours late because she said she hurt her foot. She was late several times throughout these 1st two months also. Then for almost 2 month she was here ever day and not late so I guess they said something to her. Then last week she was here Monday and called in the rest of the week saying she had the flu. 4 days. She is here today but sounds fine. I told her voice sounded ok and she said she didn't really have a head cold just a fever on and off. Usually if you have a bad flu when you are out for 4 days you sound and feel pretty crappy. People here are wondering how she still has a job? This is a huge company and you think there would be some rules.
I don't know. It all sounds plausible to me. The flu is not a head cold. The flu is a respiratory virus. If she didn't have a cough, she didn't have the flu. "Just a fever" is not the flu. However, a fever is a good enough reason to stay home from work. You don't want her making you sick, do you?

Quote:
She might be making it all up. It isn't for you to worry about, though. Your employer could get into big trouble for firing someone for being sick don't you think? Do they require doctor's notes? They probably could for anything lasting longer then 3 days or so. Maybe they are. You don't know.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,003,643 times
I worked with a woman who called in sick a lot. Always with very farfetched reasons too.

She asked for New Year's Eve off, but was denied. She went to lunch and called in saying that she would not be back because she was incredibly ill all of the sudden.

Flash forward about four months later. We are at a company-sponsored lunch and people are telling stories about getting drunk. She tells the story about how she and her friends starting drinking in the middle of the day on New Year's Eve and just kept on until midnight.

It got so quiet, you could hear a pin drop after that.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Should this woman be fired already?

New coworker only here 6 weeks and already left early and called in?

You need to quit worrying about this. If she really isn't sick, she'll shoot herself in the foot eventually. Her manager is seeing the same pattern you are. You do your job and let him/her do his job.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM

44,312 posts, read 19,982,912 times
This thread is closed, as were the two previous threads on the same topic. Please remember that duplicate topics are not permitted. Thanks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.