Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

OP - if you are so great at your job, you might want to consider starting your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 06:16 PM

50,787 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many US citizens speak two languages, it is just Spanish is not the second language everyone speaks.

I speak two other languages, Spanish is not one of them.

What is keeping Spanish only speakers from speaking English? Your post seems to imply the burden is on the US citizen to accommodate the immigrant, not the other way around. Given how many immigrants flood into the US, you expect a US citizen to be able to speak dozens of languages? You expect an immigrant from China to not only learn English, but to learn Spanish as well?
I do think people from anywhere should learn to speak the language of the country they are living in. That has nothing to do with OP's post. Fact is though we are not a bilingual nation for the most part, the vast majority of people here don't speak other languages. Another fact is we are in a global economy. Yet another fact is Hispanics and Latinos are a fast growing population in our country. So it behooves Americans who want to be competitive to learn to speak Spanish. Who I or anyone else thinks the "burden" should be on is irrelevant.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:25 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do think people from anywhere should learn to speak the language of the country they are living in. That has nothing to do with OP's post. Fact is though we are not a bilingual nation for the most part, the vast majority of people here don't speak other languages. Another fact is we are in a global economy. Yet another fact is Hispanics and Latinos are a fast growing population in our country. So it behooves Americans who want to be competitive to learn to speak Spanish. Who I or anyone else thinks the "burden" should be on is irrelevant.
The thing is that we're a country where the languages are regional. Just like Italy, Canada, India, and China, we speak multiple languages based on where we are. In states like NJ (picking up the state from your name), English is prominent due to primarily British settlers. However, when you go south to Texas, where Spaniards were the original settlers and which was originally part of a Latin nation, you're going to find that a lot of regions there Spanish is prominent. It only makes sense for business owners to require their employees to know the language that is going to help their business be most successful. Business is business.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Agreed. Soon, in IT, you will be required to speak whatever languages are prevalent in India. Or, China. Our major documents from the birth of our country are in English. Why are so many of you apologists for these illegals or those who never bothered to learn English when they became legal through Reagan's amnesty? Sad.
Don't worry about having to learn Chinese. My daughter, her boyfriend, and a bunch of her friends are all living in China teaching English to the children of wealthy Chinese parents at private schools and tutoring. They all want to learn English over there.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The only issue I have with it, is that Obama said it is illegal for a company to require its workers to speak English. So why should this company be allowed to require Spanish? I'm just tired of hypocritical rules that people go crazy one way, then overlook the other.

Personally, I think a company should be able to require whichever languages they want. The OP is upset because he doesn't quality, big deal. Learn Spanish then. If the company wants a Spanish speaking employee, then why not cut to the chase and ask for Spanish speakers only?
The President of the United States is not authorized to make such a law.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
That is a blatantly false statement. The Native Americans did not speak English and huge portions of what is now the United States were French and Spanish colonies.
New York City and much of NJ and NY State was Dutch. The dialect known as Jersey Dutch survived into the early 20th century.

The Swedes settled south Jersey. After NY Became British, NJ was split between two English lords, and then English began to take over.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-21-2015 at 02:59 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's really no different than the consulate of Mexico requiring applicants for receptionist to speak Spanish, or the local U.S. affiliate of Telemundo TV network or ESPN Deportes requiring on-air or other staff to speak Spanish.
Um, except that this is the USA and our official language is English.

What happened to the days when immigrants were forced to learn English and assimilate to American culture?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Um, except that this is the USA and our official language is English.
Please add a government link stating English is our official language.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Please add a government link stating English is our official language.
google.com

Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I've spent more than 10 years in the gardener/groundskeeper business. I'm actually good at what I do/did.

I cannot compete with this, job recently posted in my neighborhood in the Pacific northwest:

-------------------------------------

XXX Gardening estan contratando maintenance gardeners.

Experience as a landscaper is not necessary, we can train - but you must speak Spanish. (English is nice but not required.)

My English skills and my gardening skills are very good indeed. My Espanol is not so great. For this job? I'm out. Unemployed.
I'm sure you'll find a job you are qualified for. Not every job is suitable for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment