Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 12:55 AM

363 posts, read 433,410 times

Advertisements

I've always been terrified of anything with software development because I hear it's a hard job. In college I loved it but struggled with it. I was shocked to see many companies including IBM are looking for software developers with only a high school diploma. I didn't think that was possible, it's entry level, but still. I've been curious about working as a software developer but I've been afraid since I am not familiar with programming (only took one class). I do have an associate in computer information technology and a couple of certificates. I am wondering are those entry level program development positions hard? Can someone like me with minimum programming knowledge survive there for 6 months? I am not crazy about the money, I just want something that teaches me new stuff and better for my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Software development is a skilled labor trade just like carpentry. You don't need a lot of education. You just need experience to get good. Just like carpentry, getting good at software development is a struggle. You're going to struggle at first... but when you get it down, it's rewarding.

If you want to work as a software developer in certain industries, such as computer science or physics, you'll need an advanced degree or be an exceptionally intelligent person (we're talking bill gates type here).

Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 AM

732 posts, read 969,135 times
That is really what most programming employers are wanting now - no degree. Just some familiarity with some aspect of the programming being used by the employer. It is about money, a person with advanced technical degrees is costly in the short term thinking though in long term may contribute more but eventually. A person who just likes tinkering around programming can be hired at a fraction of the cost but in the long term they may not know about the systems being developed and so on but it doesn't matter for the current project at hand. But the employers don't care, it is all short time frame thinking. They have something simple and want that done. There are plenty of people making a living in programming now without any education at the college level. I think most are in IT and so on, though I have seen jobs that say even engineer but say HS diploma too which is unheard of almost but anyway that is the way it is.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM

Are these jobs hard? I would imagine that a developer with 30k salary would have an easier job than those of 60K-80k. I want to be able to make up to 50K-60K eventually like 6 years down the line, but I don't know if it's possible without a bachelor's degree

Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 PM

322 posts, read 384,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Software development is a skilled labor trade just like carpentry. You don't need a lot of education. You just need experience to get good. Just like carpentry, getting good at software development is a struggle. You're going to struggle at first... but when you get it down, it's rewarding.

If you want to work as a software developer in certain industries, such as computer science or physics, you'll need an advanced degree or be an exceptionally intelligent person (we're talking bill gates type here).
There are plenty of tech companies out there that are hung up on degrees, mine being one of them. I have programming experience from projects at my current employer, from side projects at home, and from previous (albeit limited) employment, and yet I won't be eligible for any software engineering positions. This is because they pretty much only hire MS comp sci candidates, regardless of what you can do and how well you write code. I've written Java, Python, and tons of SQL in my current position and have been told by my boss that no hiring managers would consider me for a software position without the MS degree. YMMV, but I just wanted to give you a heads up. On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller companies out there that really only care about what you can do and what makes you tick. I write code because I LOVE to do it. I can't get enough of it. Many small companies would probably love someone with a mindset like that. If you enjoy what you are doing, it isn't work and you are more likely to succeed and give it your best.

Also, there are more and more MS comp sci graduates flooding the market these days because the degree is becoming more commonplace. That means employers can demand the degree and get the candidates they want.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM

I was just surprised it didn't require a college degree since I always thought Software related jobs are the hardest in the computer field. Although, I've also heard many Software developers exaggerate the difficulty of the job.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I know some but they are mostly self employed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment