Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times

Advertisements

Your thought process is flawed. Why are you blaming the employee with children? Why aren't you blaming the employer? They aren't staffing correctly.

You also should blame yourself. 190 hours? Don't do it! Put it back in the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Hate to say it OP, but you're in the wrong. You choose to work insane hours, she feels her family is more important.
Yep!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
I am a higher level manager in healthcare. My position is essential to operations, and I take this responsibility very seriously. I have a subordinate who is also directly responsible for a department. We are both essentially responsible for facility operations. During the last two weeks, I worked 190 hours--no typo 190. This occurred because she refuses to pick-up time or commit to additional hours. She works about 45 to 50 hours a week. When asked to help work something out, she responds "I have a daughter here, and I need to spend time with her". This is a start-up, so extra time was an expectation on hire. Additionally, many of the shortages is because she has completed the work schedule incorrectly. I have discussed this with the COO, but the response is to give her consideration for her family because we can't easily replace her.

I don't care about some consideration, but the fact I don't have kids doesn't mean I should have to work through your schedule mistakes and cover every shift. They are your Children and your responsibility. As I have other offers, I am about to resign. Has anyone else experienced this at work? Is it an expectation that childless people should do more than others?

I doubt that you can legally work that many hours no matter what type of "start up" this is.

You have 2 choices, continue to be taken advantage of or find a new job.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
This company should only hire people who have demonstrated a willingness to do what it takes, including long hours, in past recent jobs.

A startup is no place for those who will not do that.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I doubt that you can legally work that many hours no matter what type of "start up" this is.

You have 2 choices, continue to be taken advantage of or find a new job.
You doubt wrong. Professional employees not covered by contracts or union rules can usually be required to do anything the company owners want them to do in most states. How many hours do you think people who travel constantly are on the clock? And they don't get paid by the hour.

In any case, the OP just posted that he accepted a new job today. So congrats are in order.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
I am a higher level manager in healthcare. My position is essential to operations, and I take this responsibility very seriously. I have a subordinate who is also directly responsible for a department. We are both essentially responsible for facility operations. During the last two weeks, I worked 190 hours--no typo 190. This occurred because she refuses to pick-up time or commit to additional hours. She works about 45 to 50 hours a week. When asked to help work something out, she responds "I have a daughter here, and I need to spend time with her". This is a start-up, so extra time was an expectation on hire. Additionally, many of the shortages is because she has completed the work schedule incorrectly. I have discussed this with the COO, but the response is to give her consideration for her family because we can't easily replace her.

I don't care about some consideration, but the fact I don't have kids doesn't mean I should have to work through your schedule mistakes and cover every shift. They are your Children and your responsibility. As I have other offers, I am about to resign. Has anyone else experienced this at work? Is it an expectation that childless people should do more than others?

Your employer is taking advantage of you. That is not your co-worker's problem. Obviously you talked to the COO and they did nothing so they are just paying you lip service, since they didn't take action with her.

You set the standard for how many hours you were willing to work and you made those responsibilities yours. Hopefully your new position doesn't have shared responsibilities (so you're not bitter toward another person working reasonable hours, since fifty hours/week or ten hours a day isn't chump change) or compensates you well for your excessive time.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,210 times
Quote:
I agree, but it is a start-up. We are hiring. It won't last forever, but in this difficult time, I should have a partner willing to shoulder some responsibility. In addition, I hire staff and she allows them to change the hours they were hired to work. In effect, I have ton of day shift staff and no one for evenings or nights. This occurs because she allows them to change their shifts. The "I have my daughter visiting" excuse gets stale--especially when you knew this would be a problem upon hire.
You did the right thing by discussing it with a higher level of management. Management made a decision and that's perfectly fine. No one is asking you to consider other people's children your problem. If you don't like the working conditions of this startup, simply move on.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You did the right thing by discussing it with a higher level of management. Management made a decision and that's perfectly fine. No one is asking you to consider other people's children your problem. If you don't like the working conditions of this startup, simply move on.
Then when even less gets done, the remaining ex colleague gets blamed. Perfect.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
If you continue to work such hours, NOTHING will change. If you cut back to something reasonable (at least less than 70/week) then one of two things will happen:
  1. They'll see that things aren't getting done and hire people to pick up the slack.
  2. They'll see that things aren't getting done but realize that stuff doesn't even matter.

As long as you're willing, they won't stop you! No one will tell you to work less - do you get that?! And, likely you won't get a lot of credit for it either - management will probably think you aren't smart enough to get your job done in fewer hours so it's all your fault. Stop being a martyr...it's a losing battle - especially if you're a woman (sorry, I don't know if you are).

Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,329 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I am not going to cover so you can get paid to babysit.
I'm not following?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment