Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

What a lot of you are missing, though, is that this is NOT a mundane, blue collar kind of job. This is white collar CORPORATE tax accounting I'm talking about. You can't just quickly train someone in a matter of days or weeks. It's not the kind of job that people regularly and continuously receive training on. Geez people.

Most other people in my company think it's very strange that they hired my replacement before my last day. So it's not just me who feels this way.

In any case, I don't mind meeting and training my replacement. I just thought it was weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:06 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, this is just awkward and unheard of.

As some of you may know, I gave my 2-week notice to leave my job as of June 12, thereby making June 26 my last day with my current employer. That's because I landed a job in the Columbus, OH area.

Anyway, I just found out yesterday that my replacement employee is starting this Thursday...the second to last day that I am here. Is it just me or is that CRAZY?!

During the past week, my managers were openly talking to me about who they are interviewing and what their timing is and everything. It was awkward. Who knows....maybe it's because this is a small company with only 100 employees.

I don't know. I have never ever heard of a replacement starting BEFORE the previous person's last day.

What do you think?
OP, Be glad you are leaving, Finding a tax accountant that fast tells you why there is such a huge gap in Columbus vs Ct unemployment, where most people face immense competition for even educated jobs requiring experience. In 1.5 weeks, they found such a person.

With GE possibly leaving, and insurance industry job losses, plus MetLife departing (mostly) previously, Ct has lots of professionals not working. Good for employers, bad for employees.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
OP, Be glad you are leaving, Finding a tax accountant that fast tells you why there is such a huge gap in Columbus vs Ct unemployment, where most people face immense competition for even educated jobs requiring experience. In 1.5 weeks, they found such a person.

With GE possibly leaving, and insurance industry job losses, plus MetLife departing (mostly) previously, Ct has lots of professionals not working. Good for employers, bad for employees.
Gotta love that 3.8% unemployment rate in Columbus metro.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Gotta love that 3.8% unemployment rate in Columbus metro.
In Columbus, if you left, your job would require months to backfill. Not in FFC due to too many unemployed professionals. You can bet the Ct newbie was unemployed.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:23 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
What a lot of you are missing, though, is that this is NOT a mundane, blue collar kind of job. This is white collar CORPORATE tax accounting I'm talking about. You can't just quickly train someone in a matter of days or weeks. It's not the kind of job that people regularly and continuously receive training on. Geez people.

Most other people in my company think it's very strange that they hired my replacement before my last day. So it's not just me who feels this way.

In any case, I don't mind meeting and training my replacement. I just thought it was weird.
I'm still not seeing the issue here. While I'm sure the new person is educated and qualified, he or she still has to learn the company culture, get his/her bearings, perhaps figure out the idiosyncrasies of the computer software your offices uses, learn where the bathrooms are... all of these things can be done while you are still there to continue handling part or most of your workload.

If you are worried about or annoyed by it, you could ask your superiors. What's the worst that could happen, right?

Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
I know what you're talking about. I was a tax accountant for a CPA firm and it took about a year to become proficient, and even then I was still constantly learning.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:

My job was head of their financial consolidation system at the Corporate HQ when I interviewed my replacement. I'm not missing anything.

While the new guy probably doesn't need training on the basics of tax accounting, there's probably plenty of things that are unique to your company that are best explained to the person who will be replacing you instead of having an intermediary.

I'd actually be surprised if anyone thought this was a "mundane blue collar job" because something like that wouldn't benefit from the previous employee being there to explain some of the unique parts of the job.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:10 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Okay, this is just awkward and unheard of.

As some of you may know, I gave my 2-week notice to leave my job as of June 12, thereby making June 26 my last day with my current employer. That's because I landed a job in the Columbus, OH area.

Anyway, I just found out yesterday that my replacement employee is starting this Thursday...the second to last day that I am here. Is it just me or is that CRAZY?!

During the past week, my managers were openly talking to me about who they are interviewing and what their timing is and everything. It was awkward. Who knows....maybe it's because this is a small company with only 100 employees.

I don't know. I have never ever heard of a replacement starting BEFORE the previous person's last day.

What do you think?
Gee, As MANY will tell you, it is NORMAL for a replacement to brought in to be "shown the ropes" of the job before the job is vacated.

Managements often require one to train their replacement.

Nothing New.

Now, were they to bring in a replacement for your job BEFORE terminating you, THAT WOULD be awkward.

I once had a situation where I was sick with walking pneumonia, went to the Doctor and acquired an antibiotic. They KNEW I was ill, and continued to "work through it", that they had no problem with. It turned out, though, that I was allergic to that kind of antibiotic. SEVERELY ALLERGIC. I was working when I got very seriously ill, and they had to call for an ambulance for me to take me to the hospital, no way around it.
They allowed me to work the next two nights, but the third night {second shift} AFTER I was taken to the hospital, the assistant manager {the one who called the ambulance} called me in and said he had the dubious task of letting me go, UNLESS I could produce a Doctor's note that declared and GUARANTEE I would NOT react to any medication again!!! I said That was RIDICULOUS as NO ONE could GUARANTEE that! He said he knew that, but they had ALREADY had my replacement, and he hated having to be the one to let me go.
Now, what really pissed me off, was that they LET me work two more nights WHILE FINDING my replacement BEFORE firing me for something I had NO CONTROL over!!!!
I probably could have sued them, BUT didn't know who to see about it, and had no money for a lawyer, didn't know who {lawyer} would do a pro-bono contingency case on my behalf or any such thing {I was young}, and they soon went out of business anyway!

So, NO, having a replacement start working before someone vacates said position. {Even when One gets SERIOUSLY ill at work!}

Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I know what you're talking about. I was a tax accountant for a CPA firm and it took about a year to become proficient, and even then I was still constantly learning.
Yes. A lot of people don't get that. You can't just quickly train a tax accountant in a few days or weeks and expect them to be successful on the job. In my profession, it takes YEARS to really become truly comfortable and "in the program" with a single company. The learning never ends, really.

So for me to be leaving this Friday and this new person starting on Thursday only really gives me ONE damn day to train them. In my profession, that basically means showing them where the restrooms and café are, and how to navigate the shared network drive and stupid stuff like that. Because on Friday, I'm basically going to be saying goodbye to coworkers and give my laptop back to IT and leave the office around 3:00. I don't know...the whole thing is just stupid IMO.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Gee, As MANY will tell you, it is NORMAL for a replacement to brought in to be "shown the ropes" of the job before the job is vacated.

Managements often require one to train their replacement.

Nothing New.

It does mean, in all likelihood, the new tax accountant was unemployed. That would be hard to find with a lower unemployment region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment