Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

To quote the OP - the silence speaks volumes?

Different behaviors as a group (ie culture) have.... different outcomes. Who'd thought that.
You bring up a good point. How do different cultures use "silence" to communicate and what does each mean. Maybe OP is just aware of one kind? A quick search led me to this article - link. An excerpt from the link -
  1. Positive silence relates to someone who uses silence as a tool of communication to promote, to solidify or to maintain the existing relationship.
  2. Negative silence involves isolating, ignoring, disagreeing etc which would destroy or melt away the existing good will of interaction.
  3. Neutral silence is kept when both the negative and positive value of silence exist. Sometimes, this type of silence demonstrates not much of emotional expression e.g. to hurt or to heal a relationship but more to convey a period of thoughtfulness.
  4. No silence means someone would not keep quiet in formal or informal situations

Old 06-24-2015, 09:10 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Prejudice and an elitist attitude toward blacks permeates most parts of U.S. society. The working world is no exception and no surprise.

White people have no experience or context regarding what it’s like to grow up and be black. It’s useless to try to convince most white people of what is so obvious to most blacks.

There is simply too much privilege and power isn’t something that is handed over out of altruism. It must be taken. Otherwise, it’ll be doled out like through an eye dropper in order to satiate, until there is a rise. Then, it’ll be doled out a bit more to pacify. After pacification, it’ll be choked off again and perhaps rolled back. And so it’ll go. Many outward things have changed, many inward things remain the same.

We’ve blinded ourselves to much of this. You can’t put people in inferior, humiliating, and hopeless positions for generations and then say, “OK, I’ll stop now (but not really)...go ahead and rise up and join us”. People just aren’t that strong.

White people don’t understand the experience. That is why there are the responses there are in this thread. It’s of no surprise. OP is wasting his time, fanning the flames, and just making himself angry.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:23 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Prejudice and an elitist attitude toward blacks permeates most parts of U.S. society.
Have you considered that freeing yourself of the oppresive attitude might be the first step towards equality?

Immigrants from all over the world come to US, and I am not referring to H1B visas. I am refering to poor and illetrate immigrants and refugees from the likes of Nepal, Sudan and Bangladesh. What makes them different than the locals is their attitude - to work hard and survive without being dependent on others. They open newspaper stands, drive taxis and strive to survive. And they do end up better than just surviving.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Seriously---a troll poster for sure. I am a white female and have been turned down for jobs that have been given to minorities that were less qualified so stop with the BS. Stats can be made to look anyway one chooses.
Please explain how you magically knew that the minorities were less qualified.

Quote:
Prejudice and an elitist attitude toward blacks permeates most parts of U.S. society. The working world is no exception and no surprise.

White people have no experience or context regarding what it’s like to grow up and be black. It’s useless to try to convince most white people of what is so obvious to most blacks.

There is simply too much privilege and power isn’t something that is handed over out of altruism. It must be taken. Otherwise, it’ll be doled out like through an eye dropper in order to satiate, until there is a rise. Then, it’ll be doled out a bit more to pacify. After pacification, it’ll be choked off again and perhaps rolled back. And so it’ll go. Many outward things have changed, many inward things remain the same.

We’ve blinded ourselves to much of this. You can’t put people in inferior, humiliating, and hopeless positions for generations and then say, “OK, I’ll stop now (but not really)...go ahead and rise up and join us”. People just aren’t that strong.

White people don’t understand the experience. That is why there are the responses there are in this thread. It’s of no surprise. OP is wasting his time, fanning the flames, and just making himself angry.

Agreed. And when we dare to speak the truth, we are told that we are "race baiting".

Take a look at the Current Events forum. Look up the posts of Max Sterling. Imagine that he is a hiring manager.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 AM

291 posts, read 390,737 times
Quote:

There will always be some level of racism, and that goes both ways. That is just a fact.

Having said that, for the most part whites have absolutely zero problem with blacks. Whether you want to believe it or not, it is the truth. Of course, most want nothing to do with the bad elements of the black community such as gangs and those involve in drugs and violence, but we want nothing to do with whites who engage in those activities either.

If you are a good person who is consderate of others I welcome you as my neighbor and friend no matter what color you are. Most other white people feel that way too.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
I work in technology and I can assure you, there are almost no black people in the field. We would be perfectly happy to hire a black computer programmer, but such hardly exists (and any good black technology person is probably well employed already).

I go to an annual conference for Android app developers, and it's a sea of white + Asian male faces. About 1000 people in attendance, probably 90% white/Asian males, about 10% white female. Maybe 2-3 African-Americans.

If there are lots of black kids in school learning STEM subjects and out there looking for jobs after graduation, it could have fooled me. We don't even see the applicants. It's like they're in some other world.

In sports, music, and dance, actually, black performers are over achievers, certainly over-represented in professional sports which is to be expected because black athletes truly are excellent.

The U.S., state, and local governments at all levels have set-asides for "qualified minorities" so I believe that's where a lot of black middle class workers end up, and others end up mopping the floors at a K-Mart, Walmart, etc. If not for these quota systems, probably black unemployment would be a lot worse.

I hope the under-achievement thing is overcome some day and black people will not be looked upon as a downtrodden people but will take their rightful place as high achieving members of society. Probably will just take lots of time, emphasis on good education, and a little patience from everybody.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
There will always be some level of racism, and that goes both ways. That is just a fact.

Having said that, for the most part whites have absolutely zero problem with blacks. Whether you want to believe it or not, it is the truth. Of course, most want nothing to do with the bad elements of the black community such as gangs and those involve in drugs and violence, but we want nothing to do with whites who engage in those activities either.

If you are a good person who is consderate of others I welcome you as my neighbor and friend no matter what color you are. Most other white people feel that way too.
You are exactly the type of blind person I was referring to. Only those who are in a group with power and privilege can afford to be so naive.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If there are lots of black kids in school learning STEM subjects and out there looking for jobs after graduation, it could have fooled me. We don't even see the applicants. It's like they're in some other world.
Go to a high school in a predominately black area. Look at their technology and STEM curriculum. Look really hard, because it will be hard to find. That is one of the reasons a lot of those kids, even if they do make it to college, do not choose technology fields. It's hard to compete with the kid who has been coding since he was 10 when you never even owned a computer.

Statistics don't lie. There have been numerous studies where identical resumes - literally identical - were submitted for jobs. The only difference was the applicant on one of the resumes had an ethnic name. In every instance, the person with the "white" sounding name got more responses, despite everything else on the resume being the same, word for word. How do you explain that?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Statistics don't lie. There have been numerous studies where identical resumes - literally identical - were submitted for jobs. The only difference was the applicant on one of the resumes had an ethnic name. In every instance, the person with the "white" sounding name got more responses, despite everything else on the resume being the same, word for word. How do you explain that?
Racism is deeply rooted in America. It's always been that way. It will probably be that way for decades to come. Not denying that some employers are racist, and probably some HR folk.

Than, you have the folks who hire a minority, get burned, and decide not to hire minorities again. At least, not that flavor. This does happen. People learn based on their own personal experience.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 AM

291 posts, read 390,737 times
Quote:
You are exactly the type of blind person I was referring to. Only those who are in a group with power and privilege can afford to be so naive.

What was naive in what I said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment