Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 14,430 times

Advertisements

Do you ever meet someone who you just have an instant dislike? You see them and watch them in action and boom, they just make your skin crawl!

In most cases at work and even in extended family you can just avoid them. But what if they were someone you had to interact with, work on projects with and even travel with. Yes, it is easy to just say buck it up or quit. It's not that easy.

Any advice or stories of working with someone you just hated and lived to survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Fortunately I can tolerate most anyone and rarely if ever get to a point of hate. I have worked with a few that I didn't care much for and that usually that's going both ways.

There have been some that I have to measure my response to, actually pause, identify, and process my dislike or annoyance out or my response and keep it as professional as I possible.

I also say this as a stocky middle aged white guy with thick arms and sharp tongue. Creeps and stalkers have no interest, bullies quickly fail.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
Sure you do portions of their work, they steal from the company, they make errors you have to correct or their uncle is the manager. All you can do is hope they don't end up at your next job.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
I had a boss who fit that description. When I was hired, I reported to one guy who I enjoyed working with, but then they decided to hire a new guy and made him my boss.

Not only could I not stand this guy, but most of the other people in the department hated him as well. After another one of the plentiful arguments during meetings(he loved talking over people and ignoring what you said) I decided I'd had enough, so rather than fight him when he was obviously wrong on something, I just decided to reply to a former coworker who had informed me of a new job opening at his company.

I quit. The higher ups knew exactly why I quit(saying point blank that they wish they could have done something better about the "personnel situation" but when the guy 2 spots under the CEO higher's someone, he has to save face by keeping the guy around.

Within 6 months of me leaving, the department of 6 was down to just the guy who hired this guy and the guy...

I know it's not always easy to quit, but I spend too many hours at work to be surrounded by someone who drives me that crazy.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Peace at work= Better Quality of Life. I've left better paying jobs because of the miserable, fried, drunks and don't regret it in the least. I didn't just walk out, I waited until other locations and positions opened, so I know the suffering all too well. Get out as soon as you can if it's that bad.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:18 PM

20 posts, read 47,315 times
Yes, this happened to a long time ago. Company was hiring a replacement for someone who was leaving and since I would be working with that person as a peer (whoever got the job), they had me meet him. I had no say in who was hired nor any influence. Anyway, I met the guy and he made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I immediately knew this guy was the wrong fit for the job and even more importantly would be trouble. I could tell he was going to be on a huge power trip. Well, I was absolutely right.

He came aboard and he was treated like a God. He started scheming from the get-go to move up/up/up and even was meeting with the company president. For some reason this didn't elicit alarm bells for our director, executive director, or department VP. I could feel the evilness ooze from this guy, he was so cunning.

Fast forward a year later. I'm out of my job (laid off), which was fine as I had just found another job and was happy to have the severence. Evilguy eventually gets promoted to Director when there's a shakeup in the department, THEN a year later he's promoted to VP of the department (which he had no prior background in). The company was eventually sold to another company and after that I didn't pay any attention.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:45 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
When I have worked with someone I could simply not stand be around, I would apply to other positions in the company, or request to change my hours and for the most part that worked out for me. Luckily, while there are people I didn't like working with, most people I could tolerate. Very few people could push me over my own "edge."

Best words of advice, try not to let that person bother you as much as possible. Keep it civil at all times if you have to keep your job and know that it can be difficult to find another one.

Unfortunately, when such a loathsome person is your manager, that type of co-worker can be more difficult to maneuver and avoid. Such a person can make your life pure hell. That's when it is best to look for another job elsewhere ... especially if you think you will get fired or get setup to be fired or demoted.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
just learn to deal with them...

don't forget, you spend as much time with your coworker as you do at home with spouse...
you might "only" sleep with your spouse... you do everything else with coworkers during the day

and some people's careers last longer than their marriage... get nice and comfy with each other, it's a long ways to retirement
Quote:
He started scheming from the get-go to move up/up/up and even was meeting with the company president. For some reason this didn't elicit alarm bells for our director, executive director, or department VP.
you know, this isn't a bad trait to have right? it's better than having someone so content where they are that they put no more effort into improving their situation... I have no reasons to NOT try to move up the ladder, why do would anyone feel bad about out competing a coworker for a promotion? Someone is getting the promotion, it's either you or someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment