Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
Talk about a slanted post. Now, you KNOW your unemployed friends have NEVER said they are "too good" for the local available open jobs. For all you know, they applied and were rejected. Not something to be proud of: rejection by McDonald's.

The retail and fast food jobs possibly don't pay enough, once you consider cost of travel to work, maybe daycare, or the like.

So you've never been unemployed before & hard to find a job? I can tell. Here's how it works: If you take a job at McDonald's, you no longer have time to look for a real job. People can't call you for interviews. You can't go for interviews at any old time. You can't spend hours pouring over wanted ads.

Looking for work is a full time job. Once you take a job, any job, you will no longer have much time to do that.

I would not take the turkey job, even if I were starving. Would you rob a bank, if you were unemployed? I wouldn't work at the turkey place because of an ethics and morality thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,019,580 times
Quote:
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
My thoughts? A vast chunk of the population in this nation has no real understanding of economics, the current job market, or the ongoing employment crisis.

1) Not enough jobs: First of all, there are still far too many people in need of jobs vs. the number of job openings. For example, a few years back when Wal-mart starting opening some more stores, there were 38 applicants per available opening.

Getting a Job at Walmart is Harder than Getting into Harvard - The Daily Beast

Even if you factor out people applying at multiple locations, the reality is that there are not enough jobs. There's no magic pool of jobs out there where the poor, put-upon company has advertised for years, but nobody applies. The only time that happens is if the company and/or job is so horrible that dying in a gutter is a better alternative.

2) Overqualified people are not hired: Second, most people who are out of work are overqualified for these poverty-wage jobs. In nearly all cases, they will not even be considered for such positions. Try walking into a McDonald's or whatever with a degree in engineering or a medical degree and get a job as a fry cook. You'll be laughed out of the place. Heck, when I was between jobs, I was given dirty looks and "why are you even here?" questions when I applied for an engineering lab position, which is far above those poverty wage jobs but for which I was still over-qualified.

3) Low-end jobs kill your career: Third, even if by some dark miracle you can get one of those jobs, it brands you for life. Nobody cares if you worked 10 years in some great, middle-class position - if your last job was mopping floors, that's suddenly all you're good for when it comes to future hiring. We have a serious case of permanent downward mobility in this nation, and this "what have you done for me lately?" attitude is part of the problem. So, some people would rather wait it out vs. working minimum wage jobs for the rest of their lives, even when they could do so much more.

4) No time to look for a new job: Finally, once you get the crap job, you don't have time to look for a real job. Also, if your current, nasty, poverty wage employer finds out that you're looking around, they may just fire you out of spite, wrecking your chances of future employment... because firings and layoffs are *always* believed to be the fault of the employee, and never the employer.

So, for the nth time, it is not about "those dirty, lazy, unemployed people," but about a serious lack of jobs - especially good jobs - and sick hiring practices created by nasty corporations that simply like to dehumanize people and treat them like disposable resources.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I agree because after everything you been through during college and finally getting your degree it's crazy to accept a fast food or retail job. Those type of jobs are for teens or ex-cons not college grads.
My issue is that we're a service based economy. And service jobs are not known for being well paid.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
My unemployed cousin declined a job that was 4 hours a week - yes, 4. It paid the minimum wage. He'd be spending more on bus fare than he'd be getting in income.

The unemployed can and should be relatively picky - depending on how many hours they are expected to work. I mean, if you have no or poor qualifications, you can't expect to get a job as a high-rolling banker, but if you are only going to get 4 hours a week then there's no point - nobody can live on that.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM

7,960 posts, read 4,952,534 times
Depends on what the available jobs pay, the benefits, perks etc. . Why risk getting paid max unemployment just to take a job at some greedy company that will throw the work for 50 people on you for peanut wages? Which these corrupt companies LOVE to do today. Doesn't sound too smart to me.

What these politicians and mainstream media corporate controlled sheep DON'T tell you is that the jobs being "created" today are nothing end of the road dead end service level jobs that pay SQUAT. Or are positions that require highly skilled attributes from a person that still don't pay the market worth.

A good majority of these jobs created are just big a fat waste of time for prospective job candidates

Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
if my uib check is $1800 a month and the federal extension of UIB goes up in some states to 9 years--- why would anyone terminate it for a $9.00 an hour job?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,492,241 times
One big consideration to keep in mind is unemployment benefits.

When I got laid off my job, I was eligible to receive unemployment for about 6 months at a rate that was equivalent to working full-time at $14 an hour. That meant unless I could find a job for greater than $14 an hour (I was making $36 previously), there was really no reason to take any job lower than that. Why give up my unemployment benefits I've paid into to start working 40 hours a week for less money than my unemployment was paying me to just unwind and job hunt? Any acceptance of a full-time job would immediately cancel my benefits, or make my benefits fraudulent if I wasn't removed from them after starting work. Even taking a job at $15-18 was a hard sell in that period because why give up that $14 cushion to find a job equivalent to my old one? For an unemployed person receiving unemployment, it doesn't make sense to find work unless it's near what you were originally making before becoming unemployed.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM

7,960 posts, read 4,952,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if my uib check is $1800 a month and the federal extension of UIB goes up in some states to 9 years--- why would anyone terminate it for a $9.00 an hour job?
Exactly!!!

Maybe if these companies would stop being so greedy and penny pinching, there would be good quality candidates lining up for them

Old 06-26-2015, 12:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I have a degree and had previous work experience and when I applied for a holiday job at Macy's, I was hired on the spot.

Same with my current job.
You were lucky.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Why is the processing plant ALWAYS hiring. Seems to me like thats the bigger issue here. Its the nature of the work verses the pay. People will ALWAYS say "Oh Ill work that job, I need the cash." Then they get into said job and their mentality quickly changes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment