Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I have a degree and had previous work experience and when I applied for a holiday job at Macy's, I was hired on the spot.

Same with my current job.
Companies for seasonal work like this love older professionals who might need extra income for a short amount of time. They are more apt to be reliable. You can be upfront and say that you will do it short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM

121 posts, read 84,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
Angry I didn't know about those jobs- where I am my job search has been rather fruitless and I would be willing to start at $5 if someone offered. My first question is are any of the people passing the jobs by on welfare?

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
My issue is that we're a service based economy. And service jobs are not known for being well paid.
Except attorney, doctor, nurse, engineer, sales manager, firefighter, sherriff, principal, teacher, pilot, politician, radio and news people, bankers, brokers and all the other good paying white collar jobs. They are service jobs, did you know?

There are 3 sectors

1) agriculture/farming
2) manufacturing
3) service

If it's not something that is made (manufactured) or grown/caught(agriculture), then it's part of the service industry. Which most professions fit into the service industry. The service industry is not just burger flippers and cashiers.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:39 PM

110 posts, read 123,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What am I making on unemployment? I wouldn't take a job in a nasty ass meat plant unless I had to. Same for fast food. Now, if I lost an $8 an hour job and was offered an $8 an hour job, I would take it because I probably have to. If I lost a 60K job, I would stay on unemployment as long as possible.

And this is how long term unemployment payments create an entitlement society. "I can make more from a government handout than from working and contributing to society."

Just another frog in a pot of simmering water....

Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM

110 posts, read 123,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Taking any job leads to depression and a person being stuck in a crappy situation because they would have a hard time taking off to go on interviews.

Taking any job also leads to earning money to provide for yourself. How can you not feel depressed knowing that you are living off the government. I get short term unemployment, but 99 weeks of it. Forget it!

Old 06-26-2015, 03:51 PM

74 posts, read 170,436 times
I take temp jobs while unemployed. In the last 17 years I've take 3 temp positions, the first I was hired after 3 months and that job lasted over 7 years, the second was for two years working for IBM and the third turned into a permanent position and has lasted over 5 years. So for some people to turn up their nose at them they might be missing out on a perm job that lasts for years, their loss.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM

38 posts, read 35,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnitegracie View Post
Taking any job also leads to earning money to provide for yourself. How can you not feel depressed knowing that you are living off the government. I get short term unemployment, but 99 weeks of it. Forget it!
you sound like a sucker, if you can find a loop hole/way that lets you live your life without having to waste your time working all the more power to you.

this is 2015 buddy, get with the times.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Except attorney, doctor, nurse, engineer, sales manager, firefighter, sherriff, principal, teacher, pilot, politician, radio and news people, bankers, brokers and all the other good paying white collar jobs. They are service jobs, did you know?

There are 3 sectors

1) agriculture/farming
2) manufacturing
3) service

If it's not something that is made (manufactured) or grown/caught(agriculture), then it's part of the service industry. Which most professions fit into the service industry. The service industry is not just burger flippers and cashiers.
Um... when people say "service sector economy," that's not what they mean; you're being way too literal with this. Service sector really means "usually poverty wage job with poor / part time hours where we sell imported products or luxury services to each other." The phrase "service sector" gets the point across easier.

Same with the "1%" - nobody who talks about that literally means that the top 3 million people in America are the problem. But that is much faster to say then "the troublemakers who make more than a couple of million a year and who actively attempt to destroy the economy and livelihood of other other people and who don't give a dime to charity.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
I have had businesses where we hired lower wage people. We paid well for the area, and took good care of our people. We wanted people that would be with us over a long period of time. We did not want to hire short term employees, as it costs to replace people and train them.

So I am speaking as an employer. We did not want to hire college graduates or someone that made $50,000 last year, as we knew they would only be there for a very short time for several reasons.

1: Giving them a job, would keep someone that could only qualify for a low paid job from working.

2: It costs to keep changing employees.

3: Those college graduates will not give 100% effort. They only give the minimum due to the low pay, and takes 2 of them to do the work the ones that fit the job will do. Even less than that at a turkey plant as an example, as they don't like dirty work.

Why would I as an employer want to even hire them, as there are good people available that will appreciate the job?

No reason I can think of.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
I turned down a 12 hour a week job at a grocery store. It wasn't worth the gas. I'd rather work and keep myself active but that would have cut into the unemployment check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment