Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM

765 posts, read 986,300 times

Advertisements

How can someone with 6 years of IT Support and a Bachelors Degree make the jump to BA? Would I enjoy this job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
Have you considered an IT Analyst? Many large corporations have them.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Try to take on some BA-type responsibilities in your current role: requirements gathering, documentation, budget/resource estimation, project planning, etc.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's been my experience that the best business analysts come from a business background, then learn the IT side. I have seen many cases where the IT professional doesn't understand the business and has a hard time, resulting in systems that are hard to use, with vulnerabilities because they didn't know how people do their work and didn't ask the right questions.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It's really hard to make this transition, as the skills don't translate that well.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM

765 posts, read 986,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's really hard to make this transition, as the skills don't translate that well.
Customer Service ( Working with people)
Basic Computer troubleshooting and advanced
Learned the system inside and out
General IT Understanding and Business side
I also made documentations of any new issues I never resolved before.
etc.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Could you make the jump? Of course. Will you enjoy it? Who knows. None of us here on the internet know anything about you let alone have the knowledge to say yes or no about a particular job role. If there is a job posting, read about the posting and see if you have the required skills. Also, talk with some BAs already in your organization to see what they do day to day. This will help you get an understanding of what will be asked of you.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Customer Service ( Working with people)
Basic Computer troubleshooting and advanced
Learned the system inside and out
General IT Understanding and Business side
I also made documentations of any new issues I never resolved before.
etc.
Most of those don't translate well. An understanding of the business and general IT understanding is helpful though. The large piece that's missing is the analytical part. If I sit one of our IT techs at a desk with a set of data and ask them to give me some insight from it, they'd be lost. So, if you have any opportunity to do some analysis that reports something, tracks something, or otherwise uses data to show something that hasn't been shown, try that on for size. You can start out with just using Excel (I assume you have Excel at work).

And it wouldn't hurt to show interest in what the BA team at your org does (I'm assuming you have a BA team) and what tools they use to do it. ANd be ready to answer the basic questions, such as what interests you about this field?

Best of luck

Old 06-29-2015, 12:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
You will definitely need transferable skills. Just look for titles that specifically focus on the IT field such as IT Business Analyst, Business Systems Analyst, Systems Analyst, etc. and then look at what they require. You'll just have to really pay attention to the job descriptions because companies tend to use these titles loosely. For example:

This Business Systems Analyst position is basically help desk\desktop duties
AMETEK, Inc. Business Systems Analyst Job in Mount Prospect, IL | Glassdoor

This position, although Sr level, is more along the lines of what a Business Systems Analyst actually does
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHos...33_5221&GQId=0

OP you can make the transition, it just depends on the kind of worker\tech you are. If you prefer to be locked away in your office\cube and only want to be bothered when you need to fix something, then this role is not for you. If you enjoy getting out there and talking to people (LOTS of meetings) and finding ways to improve how people work, you may really enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment