Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,733,154 times

Advertisements

Is this next promotion the end of the line as far as career advancement is concerned at this company? You might be advancing in to a position that requires long hours and high stress in the short to medium term but perhaps after the next step things lighten up a bit. If you are young and single and have the energy you might want to "play through the pain" so to speak until you get a sense of whether or not you'd be a candidate for further promotion after that. Also if you take the promotion it might be easier to make a lateral move into the same position at another company with less rigorous expectations for the role than it would be to get accepted for the same role from your current position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
If I got this role, it would be virtually the end of the line. There is a senior role available, one per team, without all roles being filled. People from this role have gone into other roles in the company, but since I'm not at HQ, it's unlikely.

It would definitely be a huge resume booster. One guy that was hired into this role from the outside doesn't seem to like it much, another one who now has it but was promoted from my position likes it better.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
OP, does this role come with any resume enhancing tasks? Don't focus on the hours it requires. Focus on where those hours get you. If it's only a higher salary while you are slaving away, then might not be worth it. But can you use the experience and extra responsibilities as a stepping stone to a better job somewhere else 1-2 years from now? If so, then it might be worth it. For me, would depend where I was in my career - were a wife and children involved, etc.
Yes, yes, yes! So glad someone finally pointed this out.

Where do you want to go in your career? What do you want your life to look like long-term? Most folks who are type A's (like you describe your coworkers) will put in stints of long hours, if they see there is a long term benefit. More important than acquiring a larger paycheck, is acquiring skills that will get you where you want to go.

Most folks have to work for the majority of their adult life. Do you want to put yourself in a position where you have more control over your hours, pay, company direction and personal finances? Or do you want to just clock in your 40 hours for the next 40 years and hope for the best?

IMO, OP, you're too young to pass up promotions if you want to make a career for yourself. And if you're not interested in the growth opportunities offered at your current employer, you should start looking for a new employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment