Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,040 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I've worked only in the hotel/resort industry since graduating college. My first two jobs were marketing positions at hotel start-ups (think Hotels.com but much smaller) and currently I work in the marketing dept for a timeshare company.

I really enjoy working in the hotel industry and have come to the realization that anything involving properties (whether houses, hotels, condos, or apartments) fascinates me. At my first two jobs, I wrote property descriptions and blog posts about different hotels and destinations, which I absolutely loved. Unfortunately, I was laid off from the first job and wound up leaving the second one for my current position, which gave me a huge salary boost.

My current position has nothing to do with the marketing of properties. My dept is charged with marketing subscriptions/memberships. There is, however, another department here that markets destinations and resorts, which is more up my alley. Unfortunately, there are no open positions there at this time.

My dept is overrun by anti-creative people who have been here 20-35 years and are stuck in their ways. (Not the best place for a 30-year old to be for too long.) I have been feeling stifled here a long time now.

I've been thinking that instead of targeting only hotels, I could also broaden my job search to include other fields that deal with properties, including real estate, housing, preservation, construction, urban planning, architecture, etc.

Does anyone here have experience in any of these fields? How feasible is it to get a marketing position in one of these industries? Will I be able to parlay my experience in hotels/resorts into these other seemingly related sectors (should I not be able to find something in the hotel industry)?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,040 times
Anyone?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Does anyone here have experience in any of these fields? How feasible is it to get a marketing position in one of these industries? Will I be able to parlay my experience in hotels/resorts into these other seemingly related sectors (should I not be able to find something in the hotel industry)?

Thanks.
Yes. Marketing is marketing. It would help if you had more of a business background, however.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
In general it's a really bad time to be in construction. Still a lot of unemployed Architects, Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers out there.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 5,235 times
I think you could easily find a real estate office looking for marketing professionals! I used to do it and still do for myself. Seattle real estate is booming, offices are growing, more agents need more help. Its an amazing industry especially if you are good at marketing, the sky is the limit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment