Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,492,241 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. Has anyone here ever gone through late stage/final interviews, received a rejection, but applied again a few months later and have gotten the job?

I'm considering reapplying for a job that I received a rejection on after final interviews. The position was open a long time before I was interviewed, and six months since my rejection I saw their recruiter still looking to fill the same position. At the time they told me I was the best candidate they interviewed yet, but in my rejection they cited some minor work culture differences that were brought up over the course of the interviews. In hindsight, the thing we discussed was inconsequential really, as in it was more of a philosophical discussion than a real matter to discuss. In other words, I could have agreed with their ideals and still done things according to my ideals once actually in the job.

Considering the reason they gave me for the rejection was really more of a miscommunication and minor matter, It's tickled my fancy to apply for the job again considering it is still open. I'm employed now and not super serious about pursuing it, but the company in question would definitely be an upgrade from my current job and I'm not entirely against taking it if I reapplied and actually got the job.

Has anyone done this before? Is this a fruitless effort or is it actually possible I might get the offer on the second go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:17 PM

5,887 posts, read 3,879,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I'm curious. Has anyone here ever gone through late stage/final interviews, received a rejection, but applied again a few months later and have gotten the job?

Has anyone done this before? Is this a fruitless effort or is it actually possible I might get the offer on the second go?
Good question, the_grimace. I've always pondered this too.

I guess if someone re-applies a few months after being rejected they could view it as someone who truly wants to work for them. And maybe based on a candidate's familiarity, that *may* give the applicant a bit of an edge. Or, they can laugh at the second submission and think, "Why hasn't this loser found a job yet?" I personally think it's more negative than positive, especially the longer you've been out of work. But I'll let our experts do the talking on this!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:18 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,140,301 times
You have nothing to lose by re-applying. Or skip the application and reach out directly to the hiring manager. However I wonder if they felt that the "work culture differences" were as minor as you do, seeing as they are willing to go months with the position unfilled as opposed to hiring you. It sounds like you raised some red flags during your interviews, and if you reach out to them again you probably shouldn't go in with the attitude that you were not hired over some trivial matters, seeing as it clearly was not trivial to them.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
I have never seen this happen. If they rejected you, there was a reason, regardless of how insignificant it may seem.

Also, they have your number, so if they wanted you, they would reach out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment