Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 04:53 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to warn everyone about a job scam, which I fell for.

I was recruited online for a job. It sounded legit, but I was mildly suspicious, since they approached me, not the other way around. It was a job to be performed remotely at home via computer. I even wrote back to them to verify this was an offer for a real job. I checked out the company online, including the name of the 2 people who had contacted me. It all fit. Real company. Real names with real titles. I agreed to the interview which was via one of the internet messaging services. There was no visual or voice contact. At first, it seemed above board, with a description of the company, a description of the job, description of the compensation. But as the interview progressed, the "recruiter" took longer and longer to respond until the whole thing was really dragging on. Gradually, the language of the recruiter started to sound more like Nigerian Prince language. He claimed that I got the job and emailed me a written offer, a contract, and a W-4 form. By that time, I already had seen too many red flags. The written offer and contract looked real, but some of the language was Nigerian Prince language. The W-4 was totally bogus. He never asked for me to send a copy of my driver's license or SS. card. But of course the W-4 had a space for my SS number. Unfortunately, he now has my name, address, and email address, but no SS number, bank account numbers, etc. Not that stupid, but feel stupid enough. Also, the soliciting emails used the company's domain in their email address. I wrote to the legit company and told them about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment