Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM

370 posts, read 504,663 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone,

I have currently been at my new job for just over 90 LONG days. I can honestly say this is, by far, the worst experience of my life. During the interview my boss never told me what was expected of me-meaning what was to come. I took the job leaving a beautiful part-time job behind. I loved loved that job but due to it being part-time I had to take a full-time job. I am single and no family.
During the interview my boss did tell me I would take training classes, but being in charge of the company documents I thought great (since most jobs rarely give training classes anymore). To make a long story short, it turned out to be classes with medical professionals (who had schooling) we had 4 test and a final all in medical world (and I was the only one who never went to school for this I got hired as clerical, I make nothing). I also had to learn my job while being ignored my management. I was given some booklet to study and told during my 8 hours there I could not study. In four weeks we had 4 test and a final and to learn my clerical job. I started having panic attacks at night-I couldn't go to my boss as soon as I was hired I was a cockroach..meaning they wouldn't even look my way. I have since learned people have fled this place in horror.

So my question: has an employer ever lied to you so you would take the job? Have you ever taken a job and realized you made a HUGE mistake?? I feel lately I am seeing very unethical practices by employers lately. Oh and YES I am currently looking, it is so hard to job hunt when you work all day.

Any advice would be great: am I justified in being totally angry at my boss? I heard he gives these test/final to weed out weak employees. I did fail the final but nothing was done (but it caused me great stress I ended up in the hospital as I thought I would be fired and probably homeless) I have NEVER taken a job (an office job paying peanuts) and had test and final and felt blind sided by this.. I am so sad lately-

Thank you for reading my story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Yes, a few years ago, I interviewed at a start-up, for a position which had high turnover (most of the staff lasted 8 months to a year). This should have been a "red flag" to me, but the manager "sold" the position to me and gave me a pretty high salary increase (15%) to join this company. After a week there, I knew I made a mistake. I lasted 7 months and left.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It's tough when an employer does not have the correct training materials. It sounds like that's what happened to you and that's really frustrating!

I had an employer do something very similar, and it turned into a horrible situation. Hindsight is always 20/20, I think there's a lot that I could've done to make it better. I don't think necessarily the case is the employer lying to you, but not setting you up for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment