Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times

Advertisements

oh, I would mention, while a few years is okay, don't stay at that job long term or he needs to watch for plantars fasciitis

learning some exercises for it helps, I just roll a golf ball around while sitting at computer with bare feet. Use the ball to really press into the sore spots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I'm on my feet for 8 hours. sometimes more at work I wear a pair of black NB athletic shoes (about $75 from JCPenney), and also have a pair of military boots to alternate with. He'll get used to it after a while, provided he doesn't stand in one place all the time for his job.

When I get home from work, I get off of my feet and put them to rest them, though.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
My job has me walking non stop for 40 hours a week. You ether toughen up and deal with it or find another line of work. As for shoes, I just wear a pair of chucks.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
I had a job where I was on my feet all day. The first three days, I thought I was going to die. But muscles limber up and I got used to it. After awhile, sitting felt abnormal.

Just wear good shoes with lots of support, and be sure to stretch throughout the day.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My BF just got a new warehouse job after not being in that field in years. Unfortunately, he's not in his 20s anymore, in fact, he's barely out of his 30s.

One bad thing is that he's literally on his feet for 8 hrs w/ a 30 min break in between, so when his shift's over, he says his legs feel like rubber. Plus, he works 3pm - 11:30pm...not an easy time frame to get used to.

He wears Skechers sneakers, which he says are comfortable, but I think he needs insoles or a better/more comfy brand of shoe.

Any shoe suggestions? ALSO, any other suggestions on how to keep him from feeling so fatigued & to keep his strength & energy up? Any other suggestions to help him adjust? I want to do all I can to help him.
I have not seen everyone's responses yet, but First, I sympathize. It seems he should be having an hour lunch, (which I realize not all companies may offer), and two ten-minute (maybe 15-min) breaks, by law. It is too bad it is not considered how difficult it is to stand all day. When I was a kid (sixteen), I worked in food service, as a server in a buffet line. We would stand in one place the entire time, which became really painful. I recall my older sister rubbing my calves for me, when home.

A friend told me that when working at Trader Joe's, they purposely will have an employee only stand at a register for two hours, since they have found it was TOO much to expect of someone, having them rotate their duties throughout a shift. (Seems like a good organization and she was getting $20.00 an hr, prior to being off work for surgery).

As far as shoes go, I am not so familiar with men's shoes, but I believe I saw a thread here where they were discussed, so you might check. It seems there are leather shoes that are of higher quality and comfort, maybe he can trade off, once he finds a couple of pairs that work. There must be guys here who have good suggestions.

I will suggest something - though many will have a negative reaction to "Crocs", thinking of the crazy-looking clog, however, I discovered they have OTHER styles of shoes and I have been living in my Crocs sandals. Having flat feet with no arch, I have found they give real support with their foot sole. I don't recall what other styles they have available for men, but easy to see them online and the Crocs stores are in Malls, so he can go try on. Just to mention, many, including men in the Healthcare field have reported wearing the Clog, and have been very comfortable all day.

I wish him luck - having discomfort when working is just lousy.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have not seen everyone's responses yet, but First, I sympathize. It seems he should be having an hour lunch, (which I realize not all companies may offer), and two ten-minute (maybe 15-min) breaks, by law. It is too bad it is not considered how difficult it is to stand all day. When I was a kid (sixteen), I worked in food service, as a server in a buffet line. We would stand in one place the entire time, which became really painful. I recall my older sister rubbing my calves for me, when home.

A friend told me that when working at Trader Joe's, they purposely will have an employee only stand at a register for two hours, since they have found it was TOO much to expect of someone, having them rotate their duties throughout a shift. (Seems like a good organization and she was getting $20.00 an hr, prior to being off work for surgery).

As far as shoes go, I am not so familiar with men's shoes, but I believe I saw a thread here where they were discussed, so you might check. It seems there are leather shoes that are of higher quality and comfort, maybe he can trade off, once he finds a couple of pairs that work. There must be guys here who have good suggestions.

I will suggest something - though many will have a negative reaction to "Crocs", thinking of the crazy-looking clog, however, I discovered they have OTHER styles of shoes and I have been living in my Crocs sandals. Having flat feet with no arch, I have found they give real support with their foot sole. I don't recall what other styles they have available for men, but easy to see them online and the Crocs stores are in Malls, so he can go try on. Just to mention, many, including men in the Healthcare field have reported wearing the Clog, and have been very comfortable all day.

I wish him luck - having discomfort when working is just lousy.

I second the crocs. Although I have a pair of the low top sneakers and not the clogs, it's basically the same footbed material which is very comfortable and supportive.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I second the crocs. Although I have a pair of the low top sneakers and not the clogs, it's basically the same footbed material which is very comfortable and supportive.
Thanks.. yeah, once I discovered them last year, I now have four different pairs with that nice footbed. I have always developed a callous on the ball of my foot while wearing other shoes, which has actually lessened since wearing these shoes. Yay.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Insoles are not enough. His feet will know that he's still wearing crappy shoes disguised as good ones by good old Dr. Scholls. In my job in the medical field, I have worn a variety of comfortable shoes, including Crocs, which are somewhat comfortable but hideously ugly, and don't offer enough sole support, IMO. A shoe he may find more comfortable is a high quality walking or running tennis shoe. If he is interested in those, he should go to a running store to get properly fitted. I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough. Ordering them online or going to a store and walking around in them for 30 seconds does not demonstrate the comfort of such a shoe for thousands of hours on end. A good brand is Nike, but the best brand for him is a surprisingly individual thing, and depends on how his feet are built and his walking patterns. I wear these to run and a different pair of Nikes to work in.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/me...es/7puZbrkZ8r0

Comfortable shoes cost a good bit of money. The old adage is so true with shoes. "You get what you pay for." My Nikes were $115, and were worth every penny. They fit me like a glove and I can wear them forever without discomfort. I got fitted for them at a running store.

Another shoe alternative that is heavier, but still comfortable, are hiking/work boots, though it sounds like he may not need that much protection on the job. I have leather Ariat hiking boots I use when I trek about Alaska. Those cost me about $95. They are so comfortable that I can walk forever in them, plus they offer ankle support you don't get with tennis shoes. It's a good idea for him to buy more than one pair to wear to work. Switching shoes increases foot comfort as well. I hope this helps!

Ariat Men's Terrain Boot, Distressed Brown - Tractor Supply Co.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 AM

132 posts, read 149,439 times
Crocs for working in a warehouse?

Get these,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

You're welcome.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Thanks a lot guys! My BF's a bit stubborn & thinks as long as Skechers don't hurt, he's all good...uh no he's not in my opinion. There are MUCH better quality shoes out there & I'll make sure he gets them! After a while, maybe he'll get a 2nd pair of something too. Also, I do think the type of socks makes a difference too, so we'll check those compression ones out.

I think Asics & New Balance are a couple of the best sneakers out there. I bought some Asics very recently & LOVE them! I think those are the best sneakers I've had in my life. ANd I did some research beforehand about how I pronote (unerpronation, overpronation, neutral, etc.) & what terrain types I'll be walking on mainly.

Surprisingly, he's not required to wear steel-toed shoes. They're quite heavy though because he already has a pair of those.

My friend who's a registered nurse says Crocs aren't as good quality as many people think & I trust her judgment. I've never worn them & don't plan to.

Any more suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment