Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

I found that it will cost me $99, which will cover not only the background check, but the insurance licenses I will be getting during training. I told him that I don't have any money to pay for it. The $300 bonus from training will cover the costs.

After reading the posts, I seriously have to think this over.
MLM MLM MLM

They take anyone with a pulse and you pay $100 and you get a commission only sales job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 05:28 PM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
Then I will call them tommorow to cancel the appointment. Thanks.

Is there any way for me to learn from this situation? I can research a company through Glassdoor, but I feel as if I'm not doing enough. How can I better research a company? What do I need to research?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Primerica Review

Here is a link the most interesting section is
Quote:
Originally Posted by link
“…there is no guarantee that you will achieve any specific cash flow level. Most RVPs/representatives do not achieve the levels illustrated. From January 1 through December 31, 2013, Primerica paid a total of $536,506,140 in compensation to its sales force, at an average of $5,614 per life licensed representative…”
The average compensation of $5.600 per agent includes the income of the top earners.
Out of roughly 100,000 Primerica reps, there were 2818 earners that received compensations in the amounts from $1,000,000 (1 million) to $36,000 for the year.
  • 28 made seven-figures ($1,002,832)
  • 1,035 got six-figures ($100,056)
  • 1,755 five figures (36,010)
ONLY 3% of all Primerica reps made a living income!
Now compare that to a, State Farm Insurance Agents Annual compensation – $30.000 to $67,000 (source: ehow – State Farm Earning Report). Makes you wonder.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
6 Ways To Tell If The Company Interviewing You Is A Pyramid Scheme | RYOT News

Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 AM

255 posts, read 451,546 times
I agree with all the advice to run. But one thing I would add is that in this type of thing where you need intensive training and subsequent licensing, it takes a good amount of time to get that training and then actually get to the point where you might begin make any money. In the meantime, what are you going to live on? What if you got through all the training and it wasn't something that you wanted to do or were going to be successful at? I've done this, BIG MISTAKE! You've then wasted all that time and are back at square one. You need a "job", not an "opportunity" especially if you only have $100 to your name.

As far as any other advice, just keep your radar up, don't hesitate to ask others like you did here, google like crazy anything you are interested in, and take glowing recommendations from any company itself with at least one grain of salt. After a while, you will become you own BS Detector.

From a consumer standpoint, I am leery of any organization that sells insurance because there are financial products that get sold to people that are not appropriate for them. Annuities is one red flag. I can't say I know a lot about them, but having listened to many financial radio shows over the years, they are considered by legitimate financial advisors to be only suitable for people with substantial assets than can afford to put A PORTION of these assets in an annuity.

If you are interested in becoming a financial advisor, try to research it from a consumer standpoint of what to look for. A good financial advisor is FEE BASED, not commission based. That's because if they have an interest in selling you a particular product, of course they're going to recommend it. That is biased advice and you want unbiased advice. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
The thing you need to learn is that NO legitimate employer EVER asks a candidate or new hire for money for anything. Period.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
I don't think that these companies are scams. They have been around for a while and at least one (Primerica) is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (which is no guarantee, but increases the likelihood of legitimacy).

If I were you, I would do a TON of research on the company and actually get it in writing that they are actually doing a background check on you and plan to hire you afterwards. Also, I would try to develop contacts in the companies to see what the real story is.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:28 PM

255 posts, read 451,546 times
A potential employer needs a written authorization from a potential employee along with their social security number and a description of the information they will be obtaining from what sources in order to do a background check and they must inform the person also in writing that they have a right to receive a copy of all information they get, with acknowledgement of receiving this information by the prospective employee and an answer yes or now if the employee wishes to receive a copy.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Please run as fast as you can. I got called by these scumbags, did my research and said 'hell no'. No respectable company would ever ask you to pay for anything, period.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:29 PM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
Would they ask you to pay for a state license?

I finished an interview with MetLife. As big as a company they are I had to be cautious and research as much as I can. They have 3.3/5 in rating. They have an average salary of $30k a year before commissions.

I've done some Google. I've googled MetLife scam and MetLife mlm and didn't see any results.

The interview went extremely well. It lasted half hour. The manager gave me a clear explanation of the pay. I will be paid $800 a week plus base commission for the first 13 weeks and $400 a week afterwards with increased commission rate. I asked her if I have to pay the money back if anything goes wrong. She said no.

At the end of the interview. She told me the license exam will cost about $99. It covers the exam and she stated that money doesn't go to the company. I will be doing training with the company every week but I'm not officially hired until I get the license. I then filled out an application and passed the job training assessment.

I'm doing research on the license as well, and the links to the site to apply. I'm going to check if those sites are legitimate government sites. (Since state sites usually end in .gov)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search