Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM

30 posts, read 122,570 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to know if their is anyone out their, that has just started selling on ebay, and if it's worth the time and effort. I work full time but want to make extra money, I am considering selling some items on ebay, this would be something new for me, I have also thought of maybe opening up a store, with hand made jewerly, or figurines. My question is how long did it take, before you've made a profit? On average what were your profits on a monthly basis? How many items did you start with? How long have you been doing it?

If anyone could give me any advice or suggestions - It would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 145,990 times
Selling on Ebay is pretty easy. You just set up an account, establish a PayPal (so financial transactions run more smoothly), and it should only take a few moments to list an item.

A few hours a week to watch the bidding process and mail stuff off should be all the time required.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I do it once in a while. I also work full-time and I was gung-ho when I first started listing. Now, I just can't get motivated. Packing everything and running to the post office started to get to me. I think you either have to sell big ticket items or massive quantities to really feel like you are making a profit. I've noticed computer parts and electronics (cell phones, hard drives, game systems, ipods, etc.) sold best for me. I did have a collectible toy truck that sold for over $300 to my suprise. Jeans and juniors clothing has also sold well for me. My neighbor has recently been making a killing selling Legos of all things.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynnp View Post
Hello,

I want to know if their is anyone out their, that has just started selling on ebay, and if it's worth the time and effort. I work full time but want to make extra money, I am considering selling some items on ebay, this would be something new for me, I have also thought of maybe opening up a store, with hand made jewerly, or figurines. My question is how long did it take, before you've made a profit? On average what were your profits on a monthly basis? How many items did you start with? How long have you been doing it?

If anyone could give me any advice or suggestions - It would really be appreciated.

Thanks
I've been selling on ebay for 8 years or so , in UK and USA, It's VERY hit and miss with so many sellers its a buyers market unless you can sell a product that is in demand for whatever reason or a niche market.

You can end up making a few $$ on an item but its more aggravation than it is worth. I only really do it now if I can buy something cheap and realize $50 or $100 onthe sale

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

157 posts, read 624,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynnp View Post
Hello,

Thanks
I've sold on ebay off and on for the past few years. It's simple to set up an account. The hard part is finding your niche-what to sell. Check your competition and start out small at first to see how you like it because it all does take time to do a good listing, answer questions of potential buyers, and package and ship your items once they are sold. The listing fees can add up so if I were you I would do the research first. It wouldn't hurt to start out selling things around your house you no longer use but someone else may. It'll give you a feel of what it's like.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 AM

30 posts, read 122,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
I've sold on ebay off and on for the past few years. It's simple to set up an account. The hard part is finding your niche-what to sell. Check your competition and start out small at first to see how you like it because it all does take time to do a good listing, answer questions of potential buyers, and package and ship your items once they are sold. The listing fees can add up so if I were you I would do the research first. It wouldn't hurt to start out selling things around your house you no longer use but someone else may. It'll give you a feel of what it's like.

Thanks Debbie,

Your information does help, I will check out the competition and find out what I should start off with, But I do have a Wedding dress, that I would like to sell, So I will start with that first.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 AM

116 posts, read 448,704 times
I sold a dress on there, and also some other items. It is a very easy and cheap way to sell stuff. Also, if you want you can get the paypal debit and the money goes right on there and you can spend it. (it has the mastercard logo)

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I have been selling on Ebay for a few years. This year I have thrown myself more into it because I am no longer working. It is easy to set up an Ebay account and PayPal account but isn't that easy selling on Ebay as you would think. If you just want to sell a few things now and then that is easy. If you want to make hundred or thousands of dollars a month it is hard and very time consuming. You have to take your photos of the items and get those on your computer and at a managable size. You need to write up info, including detailed info of each item. You need to research your item first and find out what similar items are selling for including shipping so you have an idea what to ask. You need to post it and answer emails, complaints etc. You need to package up the items and mail them. No matter if your items sell or not you owe Ebay money for just posting them. I threw myself into it for the holidays and just burnt myself out. Now I have to make myself do anything related to Ebay. There is money to be made. Like someone mentioned, to make much money you need to either have high ticket items or tons of low cost stuff. It cost even more to open a store and you have monthly fees on that. Most people that have stores have a minimum of 100 items if not 3,4, or 5 times that at least. If I were you I would just start out slow. Sign up for Ebay and PayPal and sell a few things and go from there. Don't open a store right off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment