U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 AM

3,628 posts, read 8,692,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It would be wonderful if they came up with feasible inter-town mass transit. I really have no idea why no one has done this on a large scale.
Because "no one" wants it. Also, as was stated in another thread, us wacky Americans want to be able to have a method of transport that takes us from our doorstep to our destination. Apparently, a little walking DOES kill.

Quote:
Because I have to walk to the bus stop and its cold in the winter. I'll start using public transport in the spring and summer though. Here in Maryland the winters are just too miserable to be outside for 10 seconds not to mention the 12-15 minutes it takes for me to walk to the bus stop and the time to wait for the bus, so I drive. Saves me time too.
The wind chill is -15 this morning and I'm walking to the train. You can do it! hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 18,452,763 times
I'd be willing to walk. We walk all the time up here in Vermont. Not everyone needs to be driven door to door.

I think it's because 'they' want to keep us dependent on oil--and also, it's a good excuse for income for the state(s)--car taxes, registrations, inspections. They'd be losing money with each 'mass transit' rider.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 12,643,226 times
Jurors hit MARTA with a $1.7 million judgment Wednesday for a grandmother who was raped after being kidnapped from a parking garage at the MARTA Lindbergh station in Buckhead in June 2002.

That's why. (That's Atlanta, by the way.)

Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM

29,867 posts, read 53,244,264 times
I would love nothing more than to take public transportation, but I'd have to take 3 or 4 buses and walk a half mile through a dicey neighborhood, or walk a mile to the train station, take the train, and walk a mile and a half through a dicey neighborhood. Both scenarios have me crossing several busy, four-lane thoroughfares that aren't safe even in a car because of the speeding drivers who pay no attention to pedestrians.

I don't mind walking, and I'm sure 999 times out of 1,000 I'd be perfectly safe. Honestly, it's crossing the busy street that gets me!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM

215 posts, read 1,496,119 times
so, what your saying, in summary, is

Quote:
I would have to take 3 buses... If I had a train option I'd take it... My spouse does... His commute is about 30 minutes and he loves taking the train

I drive... to work... it is a 12 to 15 minute ride. If I were to (take public transit) it would take me 45 to 50 minutes

We don't have (public transit)

I did (take transit) for 15 years... It took me 40 minutes. But we live in Georgia now and (it would take too long)

Because I have to walk to the bus stop and its cold in the winter.

I'd have to wait 50 mins after leaving work for the bus

safety issues...

(inclduing)

I'd have to take 3 or 4 buses and walk a half mile through a dicey neighborhood

(and)

a grandmother who was raped after being kidnapped from a parking garage at the MARTA (Atlanta) Lindbergh station in ... June 2002
This is all very good BTW. The transit agencies can say why people dont take transit, but to hear it from the people themselvs is priceless. Anyone else wish to add?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM

16,249 posts, read 19,254,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Because "no one" wants it. Also, as was stated in another thread, us wacky Americans want to be able to have a method of transport that takes us from our doorstep to our destination. Apparently, a little walking DOES kill.

The wind chill is -15 this morning and I'm walking to the train. You can do it! hahaha.
I walked in it. People do it all the time. But for people to use it, it has to be SAFE, CLEAN and ON TIME. If it is people will use it even if they walk a few blocks.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM

8,191 posts, read 26,323,602 times
Hmmmm, the bus does not go where most of my work is. As an animal massage therapist much of my work is in mostly rural areas.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,507,624 times
I'm going to say that I'm the one who drives 17 miles to work vice taking the bus - and the end part of my statement is the exact reason why I won't take the public transportation. All we have is the HRT - Hampton Roads transit. It's buses. There are no trains anymore, Virginia Beach decided that trains were an eyesore and did not renew the train contract. However, the buses are always late or early. I've learned that if the route says 1500, the bus is going to be there between the hours of 1400 and 1600

If I wanted to bus to my job at the Naval Base, I'd have to get on and off 6 buses at $1.50/ride. That would equate to $18 a day to get to and from my job. It's a LOT cheaper to drive than do that.

Edit: They've added new routes and changed the lines again! So I did research on the HRT and busing. It would require 3 buses ($9/day) and a trip lasting about 2 1/2 hours to wait for the next bus.

30 minutes to an hour to drive and have the freedom to go wherever I want for lunch vice 2 1/2 hours of waiting and being stuck where I work. Because of where I work, the only food place within 7 miles of my building is McDonalds.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 AM

25,289 posts, read 22,763,410 times
Reason #1: Because where I live, we dont have it.
Reason #2: Because in my field of work, you need your own truck. Can you imagine getting on a bus with toolboxes, construction gear, a few ladders, etc etc??

Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

215 posts, read 1,496,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Can you imagine getting on a bus with toolboxes, construction gear, a few ladders, etc etc??
yes, and doing so makes me laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment