Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Well I'm a little different because I take public transportation to work and everywhere else. Simply put, public transportation is inconvenient here save a few routes going downtown. Luckily the morning schedule isn't so bad, but the evening schedule leaves a lot to be desired. On the days I leave work early, I have to wait 20 minutes to get a bus. However if I work past 6, I have to wait almost an hour before I can leave. So basically what could be a 15 minutes car ride turns into 45 minutes on a good day and 80 minutes on a bad day. Heaven forbid if you have to go somewhere right after work. Right now I'm hoping that I can get to a downtown office before they close at 6. If I had a car, I wouldn't even need to worry about this. It would take me 30-40 min to drive there. With the bus, I have to wait 20 minutes then it will take another 45-50 minutes to get there providing that traffic is light and there are no delays with other riders. Then there's the rain. There is nothing worse than waiting for the bus in the rain. I can take the cold and the heat, but being in the rain is the pits. Also there is no room for error with the bus. Once I set my alarm clock for the wrong time and woke up late. Now I know that's completely my fault, but I could have made it to work on time if I had a car. With a bus it's a done deal because the next one arrives 40 minutes later.

Last edited by yayoi; 01-25-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:34 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
yes, and doing so makes me laugh
I REALLY want to try that now. hehe.

I did take the bus when I was living on the north end of Seattle, and commuting to downtown. Was convienent, I picked it up and got off at timed bus stops (meaning, the bus LEAVES at a certain time and will NOT leave early), so thats a big help.

Seattle has a pretty good bus system in all honesty.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Never take public transportation. For one thing there is zero bus routes and the only thing close to public transportation would be a cab. Plus I need my tools and equipment every day, don't think a cabbie would like it too much if he showed up and I started to load a few thousand pounds of gear in his vehicle.

I can picture it though, might make for a good joke, something like you would see on some hidden camera show.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I did take the bus when I was living on the north end of Seattle, and commuting to downtown. Was convienent, I picked it up and got off at timed bus stops (meaning, the bus LEAVES at a certain time and will NOT leave early), so thats a big help.

Seattle has a pretty good bus system in all honesty.
oh come on now? Buses on a schedule? Timed? what is that crap?

Playing "bus roulette" is much more fun. You can stand there and guess if the next bus is going to come in 5 minutes or 20, and if there will be one of them or 3. I've never actually tried taking bets with others on it, but I do it in my head.

... wait, is that just a Chicago thing?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,428 times
Buses tend to get bunched. There's a whole mathematical theory about it. In reality, there are three different kinds of bus routes.
A - where the headway (time between buses) is less than 7 minutes
B - where the headway is between 7 and 15 minutes
C - where the headway is more then 15 minutes

If the headway is more then 15 minutes and the bus is more then 3 minutes early/late, then it's the transit agencies fault and they need to rework the route schedule (assuming there is no reason - EG a car accident. Traffic is no excuse)

If the headway is less then 7 minutes, then forget about the schedule. In any city with a busy enough transit route to run this often, there will be enough traffic to screw with this route. One bus may be 3 minutes early while the next is 3 minutes late (meaning you wait for 13 minutes) and bunching can occur often. There is really no way to deal with this beyond hopping on the second bus, as usually it is far less crowded.

If the headway is between 7 and 15 you run into a gray zone that is somewhere between these two.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I can actually walk to work. It's a very short distance, and I haul even in winter. I have the option of taking the L if I want to

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
The nature of my job (sales and marketing) does not allow me to use mass transit.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you get to meet a lot of new friends
whether you want to or not............

Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM

215 posts, read 1,660,428 times
actually I have myself talked to some of the more "interesting" people on the subway. Usually you can tell by how they try to start a convo (EG does this train go west? VS is your hat to keep you hot, you look like a communist) if they are 100% nutso or only 50% nutso. I actually gave some job search advice to the lady who was a little directionless (in more ways then one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment