Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 PM

102 posts, read 117,419 times

Advertisements

I've been applying exclusively for jobs online through the big sites such as indeed, careerbuilder, etc. I keep hearing from older people that I should apply in person. I'm wondering if this is even possible. I would think for a job with a sign posted in a store window this would be the way to go. Am I not getting calls back because I'm not applying in person? 15 years ago I could apply for a job and get hired immediately, but now after completing my education and with 10 years of experience, I'm having trouble getting a job and am not getting callbacks. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 06:27 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Many ads in my area specifically state to apply in person.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Majority of apply in person jobs are restaurant and mom and pop services. You may have opportunities in some manufacturing operations as well.

Employment search methods and expectations have dramatically changed over the past 20 years, unless those people advising you are active hiring managers it's best to smile, say thanks, and change the subject.

What are you looking for?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
the hospitals I worked at let people walk in and apply.k

the only advantage to walk-ins are that you get to talk to the manager... if you don't, then there's no difference in just applying online because they will just point you to the computer station to apply online, while in the store

Old 07-03-2015, 04:43 AM

That's a good tip, I will ask for a manager. I'm looking for any kind of job. I was looking for a professional full time job, but now just need anything. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:07 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
On occasion, I see job ads online that ask applicants to show up in person. Some offer it as an option.

By and large, most job ads simply ask for a resume to be sent via email. I have applied in person to help wanted signs in front of buildings, but did not find wages to be competitive in too many instances.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:56 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
I wouldn't apply in person, unless a job posting specifically stated to apply in person.

I had a co-worker (late-1980s), who had to look for another job, after being laid off by the company we worked for. He found an advertisement for a job that he felt he was well qualified for. It said to send a resume to a street address w/suite number (no company name listed, though).

My former co-worker was so pumped up about the ad, that he decided he would deliver his resume in person. He shows up at the address, which is a multi-tenant office building, and starts looking for the suite number, but can't find it, after thoroughly canvassing the building. He stops a random worker in the hallway, and asks if she knows where the suite is located. She doesn't, but volunteers to help him find it. After being unable to find it herself, she asks others who work in the building, and finally she gets an answer that the suite number is just a mail drop, with no actual occupied office...

Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM

I went out on Friday to apply to some jobs in person and they all said I had to apply online. They suggested I call later in the week to follow up. My parents keep telling me that if they see me they will be more likely to hire me. I know that's how I got my first several jobs in the lat 90s early 2000s. I can apply to jobs all day long from home and in person means taking the bus and being in the heat. I've been applying for over 2 months, so maybe I should go in person. Is that why no one has called? How long should I wait to hear about these jobs? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Unless it says that applying in person is an option, I wouldn't do so. But there are things that you can do to get your resume/application looked at ahead of others. (Note: I'm speaking from the perspective of corporate office positions, and these are my personal opinions from hiring several employees at different levels, but it's free advice so you get what you pay for but hopefully some of it might be helpful.)

-- Instead of applying through Indeed or CareerBuilder, try doing so directly through the company website. My boss prefers that. He believes that it shows initiative and that you were interested enough to check out the company website before applying.
-- Get a LinkedIn account and connect to headhunters. Use them. While my boss prefers direct applications, I prefer head hunters. So you should be using both. Some jobs are never advertised.
-- Provide the information requested. I wouldn't bother asking the questions if I didn't want the answers. If you aren't going to take the time to complete the application, why should I take the time to meet with you?
-- Leverage your connections. If you can reach out to someone in the company to pass your resume along or endorse you, you'll definitely get looked at by the hiring manager. Or if you know someone with a relationship to HR or the department with the opening or an executive, have them pass along your resume. I was just reading a thread about not having a LinkedIn account and not wanting one, but those connections can be invaluable with a job search. Nurture those relationships (connect, message the person with a "it was great meeting you at (or through whoever introduced you)", and follow up once or twice a year (happy anniversary at your current job, hope to you see you at the next (wherever you met); heard you got a new C-suite executive, hope that's working out; congrats on that new product launch, etc.). If one of my personal contacts sends me a resume or endorses someone, they will at the very least get a courtesy interview because I value my connections too.
-- Anticipate what they want to know. If you have an employment gap on your resume or you're applying for a job outside your experience or you've heard the same question many times, explain why ON YOUR RESUME. I know that a lot of people say to do a cover letter, and this may be effective in many organizations, but I know that I never get the cover letter. I get the resume and application. Your resume can be up to 2 pages. Go ahead and give me the answers to my questions. I love that.
-- Follow up. If you haven't heard anything in a few days, contact HR. Let them know you're excited about the position and ask if there is any other information you can provide that would help HR or the hiring manager. Ask about the process. How long until you should expect to hear something? If you get an interview, follow up a few days after that too (of course also send a thank you with specific details about the company and position that you're most excited about within 48 hours of the interview). Ask HR when they expect to make a decision and when you should expect to hear from them. Sometimes the hiring process takes a long time, which is okay as long as they're communicating with you.
-- Solicit feedback. Don't be afraid to call HR, thank them for the opportunity to apply/interview, and very nicely ask if they have any feedback that they'd be willing to share about why you didn't get the position. This is also why headhunters are great, because we will almost always give them feedback.
-- Don't give up!!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 AM

I do have linkedin and have applied to many jobs through them. How do I find headhunters? Would you recommend that I continue to look for minimum wage jobs that I have no experience with, or hold out for a professional job that will use my degree and skills? How much work history should I include, I heard that can tip them off to how old you are? I have received several emails telling me I didn't get the job, including one I applied for yesterday, and have been worrying that someone is not giving me a good reference. I don't think any of these jobs have gotten to the stage of calling references, but how do you know if you are receiving a bad reference? Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search