Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 12:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times

Advertisements

Just read these two short articles with statistics on why some very qualified people don't get promoted. No, it isn't that old excuse of "favoritism." It's a whole lot easier to fix than that;

Beyond performance: Top stumbling blocks to earning that promotion

and

this little reminder that HR Knows a Lot More about you than You Think!
Here's a list along with a link to see the survey 13 times things got weird and unproductive at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Why is showing up late worse than leaving early?

Grr. Stupid early bird bias.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why is showing up late worse than leaving early?

Grr. Stupid early bird bias.
It's really just easier to spot, because the supervisor probably leaves early and doesn't know when the others leave. In my experience, the physical appearance part is not applicable at all for places I work or have worked, we have directors wearing jeans some days, and with piercings and/or tattoos. It would be if the polls were done in a financial or legal workplace. As for the behavioral issues, yes, they are right on.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Another fluff piece of little substance. And in my experience it does not matter what HR "knows" since they have nothing to do with promotions at any of the places I have worked for the last 32 years.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I regularly work 9 to 5:30 (as do a lot of my peers) but I still feel like managment likes the 8 to 4:30 people more.

I have a group of folks that I work out with in the early morning that I really enjoy (hence the 9 to 5:30 schedule) and I hate to give them up but may have to I guess if I want to get out of my current job.

Also - a LOT of the late arriving people do NOT stay late and I feel like this gives us all a bad name).

HR - yeah. They don't make too many hiring/promotion decisions.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
(Yawn) So what exactly Is the big suprise here?

Too many of us have finished our education with the mistaken belief that the credentials will lead to a job with variety, challenge, and most of all, the autonomy many of us cherished during our undergraduate years.

What we quickly learn is that whatever "talent" we uncovered, and hopefully developed, during those years isn't worth much. Entry level jobs, particularly if in the sanitized world of corporate culture, are about surrendering your time, intelligence, and will to somebody else's micromanagement -- and too often to the reselling of your subjugation to some demanding, irrational outsider who has little gasp of the realities you, the salaried slave, must deal with.

likely due to previous bias, women seem quicker to grasp this; and to the few among them who found a way to better utilize their skills in a gender-neutral workplace, my sincere congratulations. But for the rest of us, the transformation has merely served to disempower male and female alike, and move us all further down in the pecking order.

Obvious disregard for the basic disciplines of the workplace is one thing, but the vast majority of the "unwritten" rules are designed to aid in the identification of submissiveness and vulnerability; to reduce everyone to a level of autonomy not much different from that in a middle-school classroom.

The so-called "race to the bottom" should be perceived as every bit as much a trend in the theater of employee rights as it is in compensation; that is, as I've pointed out before, an effect of the leveling of the playing field, and can't be helped much. But the sharks are out there, always nibbling away at any vestige of individuality. And the wants and goals of individual participants are increasingly different within a diverse workplace.

If you can't stomach this, you had better consider self-employment options very carefully.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-04-2015 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment