Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:03 PM

1,059 posts, read 827,494 times

Advertisements

Since you are working in California, check your employee handbook regarding giving notice. IF the company states you must give two weeks notice, then the company must pay you for the notice period if the company terminates your employment. It is CA employment law. How do I know? As an HR Director, we ran into this when a VP gave notice (he was going to a competitor) and he was terminated that day. Smart guy went to a lawyer, who went after my company for the two-week notice period payment. Our corporate attorney agreed, so the VP was paid two weeks' salary. We never again included giving a notice period in the employee handbook. California law leans in the direction of the employee, not the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:35 PM

154 posts, read 157,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Since you are working in California, check your employee handbook regarding giving notice. IF the company states you must give two weeks notice, then the company must pay you for the notice period if the company terminates your employment. It is CA employment law. How do I know? As an HR Director, we ran into this when a VP gave notice (he was going to a competitor) and he was terminated that day. Smart guy went to a lawyer, who went after my company for the two-week notice period payment. Our corporate attorney agreed, so the VP was paid two weeks' salary. We never again included giving a notice period in the employee handbook. California law leans in the direction of the employee, not the employer.
California is an at-will employer meaning I can walk out anytime and they can get rid of me anytime. I am not required by law/contract to give any notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
You say Offer on the table - did you accept - worry about your next move first and get it in writing before giving notice.That way you can walk out same day you give the notice -you're worrying too much about your current job which already you've "checked out" from. Good luck.
Maha
Yeah, I have a signed offer letter the new company expects back by EOD tomorrow. The only things I'm concerned about are losing my pay over the next two weeks and repercussions from not giving notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Read what you wrote. These people cant value you that much(they dont) if this is the case. In a corporate setting, peoples coming and going are only mild disruptions in work flow in reality. If you are concerned about losing two weeks of pay in your gut, don't give it. Despite what people say, there is no burnt bridge syndrome anymore, and a expedited departure will not follow you anywhere. If you still worry about the burnt bridge legend, give them a week, and explain a personal situation prompts this. Both parties will not remember this event two weeks from now. Its not a big deal.
They don't value me very much I know this. In fact, the whole reason I started looking for a job in the first place is because getting laid off in the next 2-3 months is very possible. The new company in Slovakia works for half the cost of our team. Most of the people remaining are worried about more layoffs.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,870,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Even though a company doesn't officially give out certain information, the HR people have their ways of finding out. One HR person knows another, who knows another. Or a friend knows someone at the company.

Stop working in that room with your "friend." So that problem is solved. Work in your office.

Yes, you can be let go upon giving notice, because you have quit.

I would say to give two weeks notice, but wait a week to give it. Problem solved. Have a start date iwth the new company 3 weeks in the future. If you give 2 weeks notice, you can always ask to be released if they don't need you to stay the full two weeks. Since they are undergoing significant change, they may need to stay the full two weeks.

You and your friend should give notice on different days. Problem solved.

That's what I would do.

^^^^Majority of the quandary solved here.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM

720 posts, read 730,554 times
Congratulations! a week notice is more than enough and that is only if you have to transition your job to someone else. From the sound of it - they're eliminating jobs - so I would try to exit same day - if you have an HR person to help you with your exit decisions. No repercussions unless you need for future referrals - can get whatever referrals/recommendations in writing before giving notice/leaving. Best of luck.
Maha

Old 07-05-2015, 11:01 PM

55 posts, read 74,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbluciano View Post
California is an at-will employer meaning I can walk out anytime and they can get rid of me anytime. I am not required by law/contract to give any notice.
You're missing the point of Annie1004's post. If you give a 2 week notice in the morning and are terminated in the afternoon, you are owed 2 weeks worth of pay.

Another reply above mentioned unemployment. If you are terminated after you give notice, apply for and collect the unemployment insurance for the 2 weeks. Yes it'll be smaller than your full check but it's still money.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 PM

154 posts, read 157,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acpii View Post
You're missing the point of Annie1004's post. If you give a 2 week notice in the morning and are terminated in the afternoon, you are owed 2 weeks worth of pay.

Another reply above mentioned unemployment. If you are terminated after you give notice, apply for and collect the unemployment insurance for the 2 weeks. Yes it'll be smaller than your full check but it's still money.
You are not owed 2 weeks of pay. In California, they can let you go after giving 2 weeks and are not obligated to pay you anything. Unemployment maxes out at $450 a week and is a fraction of my normal paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment