Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why didn't you start a company and provide those great paying jobs?

No? It's easy to judge when you never did it isn't it?
That response doesn't negate the truth of what Seasick said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:14 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I implore you to research the boards of most of the Fortune 500 and find that most of the people running them are in tight relationships with each other. A handful of men/women set the tone for the entire economy. This in my opinion is worse than price fixing, its labor fixing.

Also you can thank your friendly IT department. Their job is to automate work. Ironically IT itself has been screwed over by utilizing H1B visas.
This is a fantastic post.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The idea of the CEO taking less pay to help the others get more is a tired, and useless one. The CEO of Walmart makes $19 million. If he decided to be "nice" and work for free to donate his pay to the 1.3 million other employees, they would each get $14.61 more a year.
This is a horrible example as Walmart is one of the largest employers in the world.
To insinuate that the pay of CEOs and/or the top 1% doesn't affect wages of the rank and file is laughable.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This is a fantastic post.
Thank you, Ive witnessed it firsthand. My brother in law is a personal trainer and one of his clients is a CEO of a pretty well known company. He was invited to go to a game with the CEO and there was an extra seat so he asked me. It was a blast sitting in the box and getting wined and dined so I wont complain about that lol. However there was another equally powerful CEO in the box with us and the two were complaining to each other about labor inflation (rising costs of labor year over year from raises and benefit cost increases). This means that two people who are each responsible to tens of thousands of employees shared with each other the nod that labor costs are unfavorable. While this may sound like two managers bitching, in actuality it was signaling to each other that they share the same woes and should go back to their HR Execs and run some numbers. "Fixing"

They werent aware they had a bitter corporate accountant in their midst btw.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
OMG sorry, but small businesses are even more evil than the corporations. The owner, very proud, screws the workers. Usually no bennies, poor pay, all the damned work and none of the profit.

My son worked as a tutor at a math tutoring center. He did the math the dimwit owner could not do. He opened, closed, handled all bilingual needs, kept the little monsters on track, etc. Paid PEANUTS, but the owner would not shake loose any more pay. He left. It's a revolving door there of desperate STEM college grads who can't find a decent fulltime job. In the meantime, the owner pats himself on the back for being a great guy and a "small business owner" providing jobs. Man, what BS.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That response doesn't negate the truth of what Seasick said.
Do you own and run one of those small businesses? If you don't own and run your own business, then you can't judge that of which you know nothing about can you?

Again, I say, if you can do a better job you can always start your own business and pay as you want.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM

733 posts, read 853,307 times
Quote:
Do you own and run one of those small businesses? If you don't own and run your own business, then you can't judge that of which you know nothing about can you?

Again, I say, if you can do a better job you can always start your own business and pay as you want.
You really don't get it, do you? One-note horn. Your remarks are specious. One doesn't have to have a business to know that the way most businesses are run is pure bull@h!t greed.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

You must be the doppleganger of that other poster. Same spiel, with no understanding that your logic is fatally flawed.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 AM

BTW people, don't be blind. The "we must cut jobs and pay for the almighty shareholder" takes on a different meaning when you realize that the main shareholders are most often the CEOs and his pals in upper management.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
NO I do not propose government step in.

I propose workers step in. And let mayhem reign until the French Revolution looks like playtime.

So big businesses are bad and small businesses are worse. Time to do away with businesses!
I'd meet you at the rally but I have to go to work, sorry.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 AM

187 posts, read 195,201 times
Quote:
NO I do not propose government step in.

I propose workers step in. And let mayhem reign until the French Revolution looks like playtime.

I'm conservative and I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment