Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:05 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And Greece has some of the most generous working conditions. How's that working out for them, exactly?
Seeing as 1/3 of Americans would like to leave it, I think Greece will be fine in the long run.

Even Japan has more vacation hours per year than we do!

And Obama, while no means a god, has no control over the fact that boomers are retiring and thus "not participating in the labor force."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And Greece has some of the most generous working conditions. How's that working out for them, exactly?
I think German, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, UK and France are better examples. As a developed nation I'd rather be in this category than working our way backwards to India and China.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
While certainly not an apologist for any Bush, I agree 100% that more people need to work more if, as the clarification from his team indicated, he was talking about getting more part-timers to work full time schedules. This gets them more cash and more benefits. We have come to a stage where retail and many service jobs only exist in part-time status; this must change.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:51 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is pretty clear JB meant there should be more full time rather than part time workers and a higher workforce participation not that full time workers should be working 70-80 hours a week. It is one of those things that when taken out of context sounds atrocious so the media is running with it.
Yes, I agree.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
If workers were more productive w/in the original 8hr day, this would be unnecessary, imo. I get so sick of seeing people cruising f/b and texting dwh. Pull your phone out? Lose 15 minutes of pay. Unless you have some kind of personal issue: sick kid, awaiting medical test results, legal action pending... that's understandable to just monitor incoming calls/texts.

It makes me sick to hear what my coworkers spend WAY too much time on. I'm a Christian and it sickens me to hear the preaching that some coworkers spend their time doing. If you've got time to do that then your work should be done completely and you can pass any inspection that comes your way. It's just not the case. Another coworker critiques the women of the world "she's a fox" "she's ugly" "I call her Sasquatch" "There's a lot of her there". I'm female so I'm positive he says derogatory personal things about me when I leave the office. Pffft.... eat my dust, losers. I'm going to spend my time doing my job.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If workers were more productive w/in the original 8hr day, this would be unnecessary, imo. I get so sick of seeing people cruising f/b and texting dwh. Pull your phone out? Lose 15 minutes of pay. Unless you have some kind of personal issue: sick kid, awaiting medical test results, legal action pending... that's understandable to just monitor incoming calls/texts.

It makes me sick to hear what my coworkers spend WAY too much time on. I'm a Christian and it sickens me to hear the preaching that some coworkers spend their time doing. If you've got time to do that then your work should be done completely and you can pass any inspection that comes your way. It's just not the case. Another coworker critiques the women of the world "she's a fox" "she's ugly" "I call her Sasquatch" "There's a lot of her there". I'm female so I'm positive he says derogatory personal things about me when I leave the office. Pffft.... eat my dust, losers. I'm going to spend my time doing my job.
A lot of people (not all) do as little work as they can get away with on the job. The owners know it and know who they are.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
And Jeb! is suppose to be the smart one. I suppose I get what he's trying to say but I'm not convinced he didn't mean EXACTLY what he said. His family is pretty well known to be disinterested at the least to down right hostile to working class people.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 07-12-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 02:52 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
While certainly not an apologist for any Bush, I agree 100% that more people need to work more if, as the clarification from his team indicated, he was talking about getting more part-timers to work full time schedules. This gets them more cash and more benefits. We have come to a stage where retail and many service jobs only exist in part-time status; this must change.
And I think this was exactly his point, though stupidly stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment