Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current employer for exactly 2 years this month. During this entire time, I have not received a raise. It's a non-profit and they conveniently use that as a blame for no merit increases. Select staff have received raises and they are top heavy with Executives who earn well over $100k.

How long did you go at one employer before you got a raise?

I'm working very hard to find a new job, it's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I have been at my current employer for exactly 2 years this month. During this entire time, I have not received a raise. It's a non-profit and they conveniently use that as a blame for no merit increases. Select staff have received raises and they are top heavy with Executives who earn well over $100k.

How long did you go at one employer before you got a raise?

I'm working very hard to find a new job, it's only a matter of time.
My rule of thumb is if they don't give me a raise every year I will not da anything but I will leave. If the raise is unsatisfactory I will also leave.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:40 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Almost 3 years as a permatemp.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
I'm coming up on two years since my last increase, and it isn't the first time, nor the longest period of time without a raise. There is more to life than pay. I've been lucky enough to be able to parlay my employer's poor management in terms of compensation into advantages that I've carefully harvested. One advantage I've secured is prime positioning for myself within the organization, which eventually led to a situation where my compensation was not only increased but increased enough to put me back where I would have been had I been receiving standard increases all along the way. Another advantage I've secured is substantially more lenient work rules, fostering a better work/life balance than practically anyone else in the company.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm coming up on two years since my last increase, and it isn't the first time, nor the longest period of time without a raise. There is more to life than pay. I've been lucky enough to be able to parlay my employer's poor management in terms of compensation into advantages that I've carefully harvested. One advantage I've secured is prime positioning for myself within the organization, which eventually led to a situation where my compensation was not only increased but increased enough to put me back where I would have been had I been receiving standard increases all along the way. Another advantage I've secured is substantially more lenient work rules, fostering a better work/life balance than practically anyone else in the company.
I agree with you on most of this. I'm in a similar situation. My work/life balance is good, I have a good position in the company etc, but at the same time, it sucks not getting an increase. What is your motivator for continuing to go above and beyond? I worked 7 days a week on a project, got it done, went to boss to talk about a merit increase and got shot down. Will I work like that again, no. All I get here is promises. Granted, now I have an excuse to give if they ask me to put in OT, which is not happening. And I'm looking for another job.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:14 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
I've had only one modest increase in 8+ years. I think that was entering 2014. Making way below what I should with my credentials. Why haven't I left? Been trying, but it hasn't worked out yet.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:14 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I have reached the pay cap for my particular position. Merit raises I no longer get, but I do get the yearly COL raise of $.35

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
In my opinion, non-profits are always top heavy (with incompetent management to boot) compared to how they pay regular staff. I would not work for one for just that reason. They aren't the only problem employers though. Corporate America has finally run out of excuses for lack of raises as our economy continues to grow and prices continue to raise. It's really pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
I'm also at a non-profit for two years this month without a raise. But in my area, that is life at a non-profit. I love my work, it's very rewarding in other ways, just not financially. But I am starting to look around for something else, as I am at a point in my life where I need more income.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
At the end of the 2008-2009 review cycle, my entire company was on a raise freeze, but during the 2009-2010 cycle it was lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment