Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM

62 posts, read 123,249 times

Advertisements

Where I work, the first step of the Performance Evaluation Process is to sit down with your manager and come up with performance standards for your job. The next step is to develop goals and objectives. Then a few weeks before your Performance Evaluation is due from your manager, HR will send you a self appraisal form where you formally evaluate your performance against the performance standards and the goals you set for your self. Once completed, this form is sent to your manager and he/she will compare how you see yourself in comparison to how they see your work during the evaluation period. During the meeting to discuss your performance, both parties will discuss the similarities and differences between the self appraisal and the managers appraisal.

I think this is an excellent system and wonder why other companies I have worked for did not do this.

How common is this and do you think it can be done effectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:03 AM

34,843 posts, read 30,905,811 times
We do something roughly similar. We have a self-evaluation form with points, and the manager has a similar form. I actually gave myself a marginally lower rating than my manager gave me.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,134 posts, read 80,221,880 times
Ours system is just as you described currently, though they are in the process of revamping it starting in 2016. I don't know how it will change yet.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:46 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,671,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We do something roughly similar. We have a self-evaluation form with points, and the manager has a similar form. I actually gave myself a marginally lower rating than my manager gave me.
Same.

Really, I didnt find it very useful. For myself yes I could compare myself to goals ect but my manager never went over it very thoroghly with me on their take. I think it was a new thing they had just started at the time. It was tough rating my performance as some criteria was very general. I do think these are somewhat common.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,342,335 times
I have it as well and don't much care for it either. I just don't like being forced to be boastful/self-agrandizing.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 AM

211 posts, read 265,561 times
Yeah and what a f'ing waste of time it is!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,069,475 times
The whole process is a waste of time. I have found that your manager already has an opinion about your performance that is almost impossible to change. All the self appraisals and everything you write in the Performance review is really not read by anyone in the normal course of business. All that matters really is what your manager writes and the rating that you get. That is why I try to write as little as possible so that I minimize the waste of time.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,394,147 times
I hate the process. Not only that, if I were the owner of the company Id have laid off the entire HR chain of command. At my last job employees spent at LEAST 40 hours working on this evaluation process. Thats 1 work week times every salaried employee at the company. In dollars thats MILLIONS of lost work time. What was the value added? Did this process make employees better at their jobs? Is it measurable? This is the kind of crap that these HR managers come up with to justify their existence....and in 5 years it will be some other new, trendy, top of the line metric.....

Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,342,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I hate the process. Not only that, if I were the owner of the company Id have laid off the entire HR chain of command. At my last job employees spent at LEAST 40 hours working on this evaluation process. Thats 1 work week times every salaried employee at the company. In dollars thats MILLIONS of lost work time. What was the value added? Did this process make employees better at their jobs? Is it measurable? This is the kind of crap that these HR managers come up with to justify their existence....and in 5 years it will be some other new, trendy, top of the line metric.....
Hear hear. I hate dealing with HR crap.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,889,312 times
I used to hate the self evaluation part. I even refused to do it one year. For the record, that didn't work out well.

Remember, no one will be a bigger advocate for you than YOU. It's unlikely your boss is going to remember all those awesome things you did in February when the December review rolls around.

Every month, jot down the biggest accomplishments you achieved that month. Just keep it in a file somewhere private. When your self-review is due, it practically writes itself because you already have your highlight list for the year. You can also pick out the biggest accomplishments and use it to keep your resume up-to-date with accomplishments rather than a regurgitated, terribly-written list of duties from your job description. Monthly self-reflection is also good to make sure you have sustained performance throughout the year.

Don't consider it bragging. Consider it a way to REMIND your boss of how valuable you are. He/she is managing several other people and even with the best memory and note-taking, will inevitably forget something. Don't short-change yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment