Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Get off your ____ and get a real job and career. Time will fly by and you will 50 with no Social Security or 401k. Get a real job and sing on the side. If you get a buzz then consider doing it full time
This. Most of the people I know who have tried artistic careers have fallen flat on their faces. While some succeed, and I'm sure some do later in life, the uphill climb is going to be much more significant for you than it was even ten years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
If you were 18-25 you'd have a definite uphill battle and a very small % of people who are extremely talented even make enough to survive. At 33, it's 10x worse. I'd say just focus on a career and do what you love in your free time, for fun.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:38 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you were 18-25 you'd have a definite uphill battle and a very small % of people who are extremely talented even make enough to survive. At 33, it's 10x worse. I'd say just focus on a career and do what you love in your free time, for fun.
This. The music business, especially in a huge city like NYC, is extremely brutal. Bands and singers performing for free, just to get "exposure". Begging for any chance at a gig, etc.

Find a real career and pursue singing as a hobby/side income.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:18 PM

780 posts, read 678,444 times
You have to consider the demographics of where you are posting (their age, their type of profession, pragmatic personality or not...). So if you're looking for support instead of reading about it works in the real world (at least in our 'real world'), then it's best you join a community that's filled with artists like yourself who would be more inclined to tell you what you want to read or have inspiring stories for you. I'm sure you can also read other artist's biographies on how bad they had it before they made it big. Those can be just as inspiring for you.

There are different types of people, their are the ones who are more practical or the ones who we call, "the starving artist" types, who would pursue to live their dream at all cost. Some people don't pursue that dream because they think settling is safer and in the long run, more worth-it. If it was so easy to make to be a singer, everyone would be busting out albums. Oh wait, every one already does, even with their 'special talent'. And that's the thing, if you really want to be a singer, you don't have to go to NYC. Look at these artists who made it, just being discovered as YouTube sensations (at the comfort of their own bedroom). There's Wong Fu (who made videos for fun, now they're producing their own movie). There's Michelle Phan who did make-up tutorial for fun, now has her own brand. If singing is what you really want to do, do it. Why do you have to be exactly at NYC to be able to pursue this dream? Is it the glitz and glam that you are after?

But anyways, why don't you become a six-figure waitress in NYC and then pursue singing on the side? If you make it, great! If you don't, well you're a well paid server. I know being a server is not an easy job. I have a degree and other credentials but I'd probably kill the business if I ever became a server. So, do what you're good at as your source of income and go from there.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 AM

206 posts, read 238,517 times
Why not look for auditions for women your age & decide?

NYC only works if you have cheap place to stay...Rest took decade to SEction 8/rent control while waiting tables.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
28 college degree. Laid off twice in the past year pretty much. Been through 4 job's within the year. In debt over my head moved in with my mom. Working part time now trying to find second job and pick up extra hour's when I can. Want to return back to school, but want go be a bit more stable before I do. It's difficult to find a full time job that pay's decent. Worked a few paying $13 or so an hour with no real option to grow. My last two job's left because they said due to their budget couldn't guarantee how long could stay on. Left took a lower paying job more stable until something else in my field came up. That's where I am working now.

Hoping cam get back into full time work and school soon. Making $1500-$1600 a month with $900 worth of bill's a month; average rent in the state is about $800 some unsafe area's with a lot of illegal activities are below $800. It is just depressing want to live on my own feel as my life is on hold at times.

Heck if McDonald's start making $15.50 soon will work there full time will make more than I do a week at my part time job. Also closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment